Trap Door Improv charms audience with first show of the year

jen-trapdoorimprovrehearsal-008-1
Roscommon junior Ethan Beebe, left, high fives Detroit junior Trenton Carson, right, during a scene at rehearsal for the Trapdoor Improv Group as they prepare for their upcoming show at the Platform in Moore Hall Sept. 27.

In the deep, dark atmosphere of Moore 102, Trap Door Improv uses the Platform Theatre to create their magic. 

Trap Door Improv is an improvisational comedy troupe sponsored by the University Theatre program at Central Michigan University that performs monthly shows. Sept. 30 marked the group's first show of the academic year.

Improvisational comedy requires performers to be quick thinkers and make up the content of each show on the spot. The "Back 2 Skool" event on Saturday consisted of three separate hour-long shows at 6 p.m., 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. 

Between using audience suggestion for crude, sexual humor and creating arbitrary scenarios with an uplifting message, Trap Door aims to provide a casual, welcoming environment where students and family alike can share their humor.

Zach Guerra, a junior from Berkley, joined the group his freshman year. Guerra said being part of Trap Door has allowed him to continue his love for theater to move beyond high school and improve his improvisation skills, he said.

“(Trap Door) has made me a lot more able to make things up as I go along," he said.

In addition to the returning members, Trap Door gained three new members this year. 

Junior Brian Ross played an active role in his high school theatre department, but never thought he would step on a stage again before joining Trap Door. It was encouragement from his friends and Trap Door’s inviting nature that allowed him to continue performing and still pursue other paths at CMU.

Students interested in Trap Door's performances are encouraged to follow the group's Twitter page, @TrapDoorImprov, and stay on the lookout for audition information. By getting in contact and working with current members of the troupe, interested students will have an opportunity to experience the improvisational comedy process.

Trap Door Improv will be performing their next show Nov. 1 in Moore 102, with the first show at 8 p.m. and a second session following at 10 p.m.