BTN: Central Michigan 35, Western Michigan 28

fballrusco-4

Senior quarterback Shane Morris runs in for a touchdown on Nov. 1 at Waldo Stadium. 

In sports, it is important to beat your rivals.

Central Michigan football head coach John Bonamego came up victorious for the first time in his career against Western Michigan on Wednesday. 

The Chippewas (5-4, 3-2 in Mid-American Conference) topped the Broncos (5-4, 3-2 MAC) in the pouring rain at Waldo Stadium, 35-28. 

Here’s a look at the game by the numbers.

Total Yards: CMU 409, WMU 357

Passing Yards: CMU 243, WMU 42

Central Michigan graduate transfer quarterback Shane Morris struggled early, but gained success after halftime. 

Morris finished 12-of-30 through the air for 243 yards and two touchdowns in his first and final game against WMU. 

Senior wide receiver Corey Willis led the way with five receptions for 148 yards and CMU’s game winning touchdown. Fellow senior receiver Eric Cooper also caught a touchdown pass from Morris. 

The biggest play of the game was a 77-yard strike from Morris to Willis, giving Central Michigan a 35-28 lead with 2:37 left in the game. 

Freshman quarterback Reece Goddard made his first career start for WMU. He completed 5-of-12 passes for 37 yards in the loss.

Rushing Yards: CMU 166, WMU 315

WMU ran over the Chippewas all night long, but it was not enough to secure a victory. 

The Broncos tailed 54 carries for 315 yards and four touchdowns. Meanwhile, CMU posted 34 carries for 166 yards and three scores. 

Leading the way for the Broncos was freshman running back Jarvion Franklin. He ran 26 times for 228 yards and two touchdowns. WMU freshman running back Jamauri Bogan added nine carries for 53 yards and one score. 

CMU sophomore running back Jonathan Ward went for 132 yards and a score. 

Morris scored two rushing touchdowns for the Chippewas. 

Turnovers: CMU 2, WMU 4

Senior Mark Chapman fumbled two punt returns and both were picked up by Western Michigan. 

On the first fumble, WMU’s offense was able to punch the football in the end zone. On the second recovery, the Broncos made a mistake of their own, as a bad snap was picked up by the Chippewas. 

With 10:08 left in the game, CMU recovered a fumble by Franklin in scoring territory. The turnover set up a 29-yard rushing score by Ward. 

WMU’s fourth turnover was on an onside kick recovery by junior Trevor Apsey late in the game, but the Chippewas could not deliver on offense, going three-and-out. 

The first turnover for Western Michigan was an interception thrown by Goddard in the first half. 

Miscellaneous Information

Central Michigan allowed just three kick returns and two punt returns to WMU senior multipurpose athlete Darius Phillips. Coming into the game, Phillips had 13 kick returns for 457 yards and two touchdowns. He also registered nine returns for 109 yards. 

CMU senior defensive end and captain Joe Ostman was not active against WMU. He came into the game leading the NCAA with 10 sacks on the season.