Halftime BTN: NIU 17, CMU 0

fballrusco-5

Football players listen to a coach during the Central Michigan vs Western Michigan football game on Nov. 1 at Waldo Stadium. 

Behind quarterback Marcus Childers, Northern Illinois led Central Michigan football 17-0 at halftime. 

Childers was 15-21 for 88 yards and one touchdown in the first half. CMU only reached NIU territory once.    

CMU quarterback Shane Morris threw a pick-six to start the game. 

NIU scored a touchdown off of a 4-yard pass from Childers as he connected to D.J. Brown in the back of the end zone. The drive took nine plays and started at the Chippewas 41-yard line.    

CMU put freshman quarterback Tony Poljan in for Shane Morris mid-way through the first quarter. Morris went to the locker room to check on an injury, but came back out after missing one drive. 

On his first drive back, the Chippewas got one first down before Shane Morris fumbled the ball. CMU offensive linemen Luke Idoni at the CMU 12-yard line. The first quarter ended with a 14-0 lead for NIU. 

Tight end Tyler Conklin dropped a pass on third down and the Chippewas for forced to punt again in the second quarter. 

NIU went 62 yards and added three points to their score after kicker Christian Hagan makes a 23-yard field goal. NIU offense was driving all down the field in the first half against the Chippewas. 

Under two minutes to go in the first half CMU started a drive at their own 24-yard line and could only go as far as midfield.  

Passing Yards: CMU 68, NIU 88

Rushing Yards: CMU -33, NIU 59

Total Yards: CMU 35, NIU 147

Turnovers: CMU 1, NIU 0

First Downs: CMU 4, NIU 11