Program board offers night of holiday crafts with pinterest party

Students decorated crafts during the Holiday Pinterest Party Nov. 27 in the UC Terrace Rooms. 

Program Board celebrated the holiday season with music, crafts and ugly sweaters at their Pinterest Party Nov. 27 in the Bovee University Center Terrace Rooms. 

Planning for the event takes place in the beginning of the semester, Battle Creek sophomore Olivia Franklin said. 

“It takes a while to plan, but seeing the final project really makes all of the time and effort worth it,” she said. 

Franklin is Program Board’s special events director and was responsible for handling a budget exceeding $500 for the event. 

Program Board President Marissa Mattioli said supplies are purchased through Amazon, Walmart and Joann Fabric. 

Crafts featured chalk wood slice ornaments, peppermint sugar scrub and bath salts, reindeer hot cocoa cones and personalized ornaments. A hot cocoa station with Insomnia Cookies and a coloring book table consisting of holiday prints was also included for the evening.  

“In the past seven years we’ve hosted pinterest parties and they’ve always been a super big hit,” Mattioli said. “This is a way for students to escape reality and enjoy some free crafts and food.” 

Program Board traditionally hosts one pinterest party per semester with attendance reaching more than 100 participants. Previous themes have included Saint Patrick's Day, Galentine's Day, Harry Potter, Spring Fever, '90s Throwback and Central Michigan University Pride (Fire Up). 

Franklin said this was the first year an ugly sweater contest was featured in a pinterest party, with the winner receiving a $25 gift card to Target. 

Mattioli said the event provides an outlet for students to prepare for holiday gifting without having to worry about money. 

“I think the best thing is that they can make things for their friends and family even with very limited resources in terms of money,” she said. “They are given multiple options at no expense. They can create an original ornament for their mom and make relaxing bath salts for their aunts or sisters, or even treat themselves if they wish.” 

Seniors Madison Frye, of East Grand Rapids, and Christina Amato, of Grosse Pointe, attended the event as part of a long-awaited break from working on a 90-page feature script for their screenwriting class. 

“We were in huge need of some crafts,” Frye said. 

Frye said she has always had an immense love for crafts, but with an even bigger love for holiday spirit.  She described the season as being joyous, colorful and one of her favorite times of the year. 

“I love everything about the holiday season,” Frye said. “I am literally Cindy Lou Who in my soul.” 

Amato said the party and its selection of crafts reminded her of the importance of treating yourself, even as a full-time college student. 

“In college you don’t really think about pampering yourself more because you are always so busy,” Amato said. "But it is so nice to make a useful craft I will absolutely use."

The two spent their evening making peppermint sugar scrubs in mason jars.  They wrapped their latest bath essentials in ribbon to kick off the winter's festivities. 

White Lake sophomore Berit Heiple and Cass City junior Katie House found out about the event on Facebook. 

Heiple said he isn’t worrying too much about fast-approaching finals and project deadlines like many of his peers. 

House, on the other hand, said she was in much dire need for some distressing. 

“I was so stressed, that’s why I’m here,” she said. “This event is so beautiful, there’s crafts involved and there’s food involved and it gives me a whole bunch of ideas for making homemade gifts for other people.” 

Franklin said the event offered an opportunity for students to explore their imagination and create something they can be proud of. 

“I really wanted to mimic what holiday brings to me for students. Celebrating this winter season is a way to give to others and to spread love and joy,” she said.  

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →