Kappa Alpha Psi collects winter apparel for children in Saginaw

A Koats, Gloves and Love collection box sits outside the Mary Ellen Brandell Volunteer Center on the first floor of the Bovee University Center.

Members of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity hope to bring warmth to children in Saginaw this winter. 

Ja-Wan Gardner of Kappa Alpha Psi started a collection drive — Koats, Gloves and Love — with the upcoming season in mind. Donations began being collected Wednesday, Nov. 16 and are being collected until Wednesday, Dec. 6.

"Our fraternity is all about service and I always saw myself giving back to children when I was younger,” Ja-Wan said. "Once I surrounded myself with the right people to organize the event, we helped each other by keeping one another accountable until we got the event in motion."

The drive calls for lightly worn winter apparel for children and parents in Saginaw. The fraternity decided to focus on the inner city, where they recognized there were children without winter coats. They also have chapter alumni to help them reach a group of people in need this season at a church, Center of Attraction Outreach. 

"It was the upcoming season, and we know a lot of children won’t have warm winter apparel through the season," Ja-Wan said. "We have an alumni member in our fraternity whose father has a church in Saginaw for us to take the coats to. Our goal is to get people gathered there and we will hand deliver them."

The fraternity’s primary location for collection is in the lower level of the Bovee University Center, outside of the Mary Ellen Brandell Volunteer Center. Other boxes have been placed in the Towers residence halls and North, East, South and West campus buildings. 

"During the holiday season, people are always looking for opportunities to give back,” said Deonte Gardner of Kappa Alpha Psi. "This event gives everybody a chance to help those in need of warm clothing this winter season."