Kozinski brothers reunite on men's basketball team

bball-10

Freshman guard Adam Kozinski and senior guard Josh Kozinski pose for a portrait on Oct. 19 at McGuirk Arena.

Freshman guard Adam Kozinski compared his first season at McGuirk Arena would almost feel like playing street ball in the driveway growing up.

Adam Kozinski, senior guard Josh Kosinski's little brother, was one year too young from playing basketball with Josh at Edwardsburg high school. 

Now, the two brothers find themselves on the same Division I roster at CMU because Josh is a fifth-year senior. 

Adam said the feeling of having his brother in the gym with him is unlike anything he’s experienced on the court.

“It’s kind of like a backyard basketball game,” Adam said. “When I matchup with him, you don’t really think about how your playing on a team, it feels like its just me and him out there and it is pretty cool.”

The six-foot, 170-pound freshman said he didn't receive any other offers to play at the Division I level, despite interest from Division III Albion College.

In the summer of his junior year of high school, Adam was playing in a CMU basketball camp when head coach Keno Davis noticed him.

“I went up to Josh and just asked him how he would feel about Adam joining the team as a walk-on,” Davis said. “Josh mentioned it to (Adam) and from there I’d say it has worked out pretty well. We really like the skill set that Adam brings to our team.”

Adam didn't even hesitate.

“I just said ‘why not’ and I absolutely love it here,” Adam said.

For Josh, it’s a blessing to finally get the chance to play with his sibling and watch him play basketball more now than ever on the same team.

“I’ve seen him grow so much already throughout the summer, more than ever before,” Josh said. “It has been a blast not just on the basketball court, but playing golf together or going to church on Sunday mornings is cool to have again.”

The experience that Adam has had in Mount Pleasant is much different than anything Josh recieved when he arrived as a freshman in 2014.

“I didn't get groomed the way he is getting groomed,” Josh said. “He already kind of knows the ins-and-outs as I’ve gotten to show him what CMU has to offer so early. I’m really excited to see how he handles the upcoming journey.”

Adjusting to the level of difficulty college basketball presents wasn't easy for Adam. It made his summer challenging.

Josh taught Adam the speed of the game, how to play consistent defense and how to work on his shot.

“I really just had no idea what I was doing and it was overwhelming at first,” Adam said. “It was just a lot of simple things like my shot fading too early or sticking my leg out the wrong way.

"Josh has been extremely patient with me and is just like another support system that I have absolutely needed.”

In his CMU career, Josh has attempted 682 three-point shots, which is the second-most all-time in program history. He has netted 236 of those attempts, which is the third-best conversion rate in Chippewa basketball history.

Adam's playing style includes driving and shooting from three-point range, but now he has to adjust to his size and height for how he shoots the ball.

“If I can execute getting better at the 3-point shot now, it’ll open my opportunities for the other stuff later,” Adam said.

One area that Josh has also really tried to prepare his younger brother for is playing on the road in the Mid-American Conference.

The senior said he needs to learn how to “soak it all in” and try to enjoy it while staying locked in and executing the game plan.

“There are a lot of fans who will not yell the nicest things as you,” Josh said. “You can’t let that get in your head and you need to quiet them with your play. That will be a challenge for him.”

Both brothers have different goals for the upcoming 2017-18 season.

“I want to just be the best team player I can possibly be,” Adam said. “I want to push the starting team to be better because that is my job this year.”

Josh looks to assert himself as more of a leader for the team and having that result in more wins for CMU.

“I just want to bring that MAC Championship back to Mount Pleasant,” he said. “Other than that, I’ll hopefully just keep beating my brother in our one-on-one matchups.”

Adam didn't deny it.

“He usually does beat me, but thats because of him being taller than me,” Adam said. “After all, he is my brother, he’s suppose to win a couple.”