Candlelight vigil for mass shooting victims to take place Wednesday

19293_logot

Student Government Association will honor those affected by mass shootings that have taken place in the U.S. and throughout the world.

SGA will be standing in solidarity for mass shooting victims and families in the form of a candlelight vigil at 8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15 in the field next to the College of Health Professions building.

SGA senator and graduate student Umair Shah said in an SGA press release the vigil will provide the Central Michigan University students an opportunity to come together and stand united with all those affected by recent mass shootings.

Attendants at the vigil will be joining in a moment of silence upon their arrival. Candles will be provided to represent light being shined into the darkness, according to the release.

Recent mass shootings include Las Vegas, that is now considered the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. In the case gunshots were fired in a period lasting between 10 to 15 minutes and left 58 concertgoers dead and nearly 500 dead.

A more recent incident took place in Sutherland Springs, Texas on Nov. 5 that left 26 dead.

According to the New York Times, the shooting in Texas was the fifth-deadliest mass shooting since World War II. 

FBI data from 2013 estimated that seven out of 10 U.S. active shootings occur in schools and businesses. The statistic features high-profile mass shootings that have happened, such as the Sandy Hook, Columbine and Virginia Tech shootings.

Other countries may experience mass shootings in the form of military installations, according to the data.

Shah said he believes this is the chance for people to come together and demonstrate support for both families and victims.

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →