Smooch A Pooch brings playful pups to Wesley

dsc-0278

Lake Linden senior Abby McConnon pets Callie the dog from the local animal shelter at the Smooch a Pooch event by the Humane Animal Treatment Society fundraiser on Nov. 7 in front of Wesley Church Lawn.

Callie, a 2-month-old Hound-Collie mix puppy, caught the attention of many students passing by the front lawn of Wesley Church. 

From 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, people were able to play with Callie while also having an opportunity to donate to the Humane Animal Treatment Society (HATS) of Central Michigan University. Students could take photos with Callie for $1, or buy cider and donuts for $3 to benefit HATS at the Smooch-A-Pooch event. 

"Today we want to raise awareness of the existence of the animal shelter here in Mount Pleasant. Not many people know about (the shelter) or that we have an RSO on campus that students can join to help animals," said Lake Linden senior Madison McConnon. "We also want students to be aware of certain issues we push, such as pet abandonment."

HATS is a community based non-profit organization that provides public services to support the compassionate treatment of animals, according to its website. The organization offers adoption services, volunteer and foster opportunities; and shelters stray animals in Isabella county. 

Many students are enthusiastic about adopting pets but not for the long haul, McConnon said. Many animals are returned at the end of the school year because students don't want to take a pet home with them.

HATS also wants to push students to adopt from shelters instead of breeders, because there are many animals looking for homes.

"I adopted my cat from the shelter last year," McConnon said. "She's such a sweetheart, I love her."

HATS provided a list of items to donate, which included the following: Dawn dish soap, laundry detergent, fleece blankets, large dog collars, canned cat food, disinfectant wipes, soft dog treats, 6-foot dog leashes, and small dog-cat beds. 

Donations will be accepted at Wesley Church and those who bring donations by Nov. 13 will be eligible for a chance to win a VISA gift card.