Lefebvre scores three goals to give Division II hockey fourth win

hockeyrusco-2

Junior forward Justin McComas celebrates after scoring a goal on Nov. 3 at Morey Courts.

Central Michigan division II hockey (4-6) beat Wright State (2-13) 5-2 at the Friday night at the National Trail Parks and Recreation District Chiller Ice Arena in Springfield, Ohio. 

The Chippewas were led by forward Nolan Lefebvre, who scored three of the five goals in the contest. 

“He (Nolan) made a huge difference tonight,” said assistant coach Brittany Knopp. “When someone steps up and leads the team like that it makes everyone step up their game in all aspects. Then players start watching all the good things Nolan is doing and apply it to their own game, brings up momentum for our whole team.” 

The first period started with high offense from both teams with a lot of shots and scoring chances. No one could find the back of the net in the first period as it ended 0-0. 

The Second period started with forward Brent Bouck scoring to make a 1-0 lead for CMU. That lead would not stay as Wright States forward Kyle Snow scored his 12th goal of the year to tie the game at one. 

Before the second period would end, CMU regained the lead with Lefebvre’s first goal of the game. A sharp wrist shot to the top of the net to take the lead heading into the third period, 2-1. 

The third period was full of CMU taking the game over and controlling the puck all over the ice. For the Chippewas, defenseman Brandon Schwandt scored his first goal of the season before Lefebvre scored two more goals to have a hat trick for the night. 

“Tonight, we were moving the puck quicker and putting shots on the night.” Knopp said. 

CMU will play Wright State tonight in Springfield, Ohio. They have won three of their last four and has a chance to win three in a row with a win tonight.