New events coming to CMU for Black History Month

19293_logot

Every year, Central Michigan University takes the month of February to celebrate African American achievements and culture. 

The Multicultural Academic Student Service Center has put together a series of events that highlight some of the successes and customs of African Americans throughout history.

“African Americans have been very instrumental in society with their inventions, their culture, and their impact,” said MASS Assistant Director D'Wayne Jenkins. “It is important that those achievements and their culture are highlighted in the month of February.” 

This year, there will be new events like "Step Afrika" — a look at "step" dance culture in the Black community — at 7 p.m. Feb. 12 in Plachta Auditorium,  and "The Purpose of Relationships" at 7 p.m. Feb. 6 in the Charles V. Park Library, which will feature Detroit-based speaker group Twin Flame Coalition, who will discuss the important dynamic between black men and women. 

Additionally, the "Black History Month Annual Food Taster," will take place which will feature southern comfort food, at 3 p.m. Feb. 6 at the Wesley.

“Each event holds a special place, but the events that students learn the most from are the ones that I look forward to the most,” Jenkins said.

Click here to see the full list of events.