Austin, Kelly headed to All-Star Games in January

jen-homecomingcrowd-008
The crowd watches the action during Central Michigan University's homecoming football game against Toledo at Kelly/Shorts Stadium Saturday, Oct. 14.

Along with four other Central Michigan football players, offensive lineman Joe Austin and cornerback Darwyn Kelly are headed to play in all-star games in January. 

Austin is playing in 2018 SPIRAL Tropical Bowl, which takes place on Jan. 14 at Daytona Beach Municipal Stadium in Daytona Beach, Fla. The 6-foot-6, 290-pound tackle helped protect quarterback Shane Morris and pave the way for running back Jonathan Ward during the 2017 season. 

Kelly will make his presence felt at the 2018 College Gridiron Showcase, which will be held Jan. 6-10 at Greenhill School in Addison, Texas. The CGS is a postseason showcase for NFL Draft eligible athletes that are selected from a group of football experts. 

Along with other members, Kelly will participate in seminars and evaluations. 

During his senior year for CMU, Kelly made 81 tackles, one interception, three passes defended, one fumble recovery and two forced fumbles. The 6-foot-1, 208-pound cornerback played his early collegiate career for Illinois. 

Defensive end Joe Ostman, tight end Tyler Conklin, cornerback Amari Coleman and safety Josh Cox will also compete in college all-star games in January.