Men's basketball's Meyer earns Player of the Week honor

bball_rusco-4

Senior forward Luke Meyer prepares to pass the ball during the basketball game against Tennessee Tech on Dec. 9 at McGuirk Arena. 

Senior forward Luke Meyer of the Central Michigan men’s basketball team was named the Mid-American Conference Co-Player of the Week, sharing it with Toledo’s Tre’Shaun Fletcher.

Meyer averaged nearly a double-double with 21.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game in two road games against Ball State and Bowling Green last week.

The Addison native totaled career-highs with 26 points, 14 rebounds and six 3-pointers in a losing effort on Jan. 16 to BSU. He added two blocks and made a pair of free throws to extend his streak to 16 consecutive free throws made.

Against BGSU on Jan. 20, he scored 16 points and added five boards to help guide CMU to a 15-point comeback and come out with the 84-75 victory.

The 6-foot-10.5, 224-pound forward ranks in the top-10 of the MAC in the following categories: Sixth in 3-point field goal percentage (42.9 percent) and seventh in overall field goal percentage (.552).

Fletcher, Meyer’s co-partner for the award, also nearly averaged a double-double in two games last week with 17.5 points and nine rebounds per game while adding four assists and helping the Rockets to their current five-game winning streak.

The Chippewas return to the court on Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. against Miami (OH) in McGuirk Arena.