Board of Trustees to discuss search for next CMU president at February meeting

dsc-0774

Board Chair William Weideman speaks  during the Board of Trustees meeting on Dec. 7 in the Bovee UC. 

Efforts to find Central Michigan University’s next president will be discussed at the February Board of Trustees meeting.

The board meets at 8:30 a.m. Feb. 15 in the President’s Conference Room, located on the top floor of the Bovee University Center.

Trustees will also consider a motion to authorize that undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students who are U.S. residents shall qualify for in-state tuition rates, effective in the Fall 2018 semester.

In January, President George Ross announced he will step down from his position July 31. An update on the search will be discussed at at the formal meeting. A motion for Board Chair William Weideman to sign an amendment to Ross’ employment contract is on the agenda.

Among the action requested at the meeting related to the presidential search include: 

• A motion authorizing Weideman to sign an amendment to Ross’ employment agreement.
  • A motion to appoint members of the presidential search advisory committee. 
  • A motion to authorize the appointment of a presidential search firm.
  • A motion to adopt a confidentiality statement and code of ethics.
  • A motion to adopt an affirmative action statement.
  • A motion to adopt a charge to the presidential search advisory committee.

After Ross’ decision last month, Weideman said the board will hire a “nationally recognized search firm” to find CMU’s next president.

Other action requested include:

• A motion authorizing Ross to ratify and sign a collective bargaining agreement for 2018-2019 and beyond with Central Michigan Command Officers Association (CMCOA).
  • A motion authorizing the absorption chiller placement project.

Two public comment sections will take place during the meeting. The first public comment is related to agenda items, while the second can be on any item or matter not listed on the agenda.

Committee meetings take place Feb. 14 in the President’s Conference Room. The schedule is as follows:

• 2-2:45 p.m. — Academic and Student Affairs Committee
  • 3-3:45 p.m. — Finance and Facilities Committee
  • 4-5 p.m. — Trustees-Faculty Liaison Committee
  • 5-6 p.m. — Trustees-Student Liaison Committee

At the Academic and Student Affairs Committee, Provost Michael Gealt and Senior Vice Provost for Academic Reorganization Initiative Ian Davison will discuss the Academic Organizational Review update and overview. Dean Chuck Crespy of the College of Business Administration will give a report on the college, while Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services Steven Johnson will discuss the 2018-2022 Strategic Enrollment Management Plan.

At the Finance and Facilities Committee, Vice President for Finance and Administrative Services Barrie Wilkes and Associate Vice President for Facilities Management Jonathan Webb will present the Student Residential Life project. Wilkes will also provide an update on the Budget to Actual for 2017-18.

Trustees will discuss best use of allocating resources to programs in demand at the Trustees-Faculty Liaison Committee. Joanne Dannenhoffer, a professor in the biology department, and Mary Senter, a professor in the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work, will also give presentations.

Student Government Association President Anna Owens, Director of Sexual Aggression Services Brooke Oliver-Hempenstall, Program Board President Marissa Mattioli and Resident Hall Assembly Director Jasmine Alvarado will speak at the Trustees-Liaison Committee.

The full agenda is listed on the Board of Trustees' website.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →