SGA passes resolutions supporting change to bereavement amnesty policy, on-campus food pantry

dsc-0133

SGA senators vote to pass a resolution in support of an on-campus food pantry on Feb. 5th in the Mackinaw Room at the UC

The Student Government Association voted to pass two resolutions, which included supporting an on-campus food pantry, at its meeting Feb. 5 in the Bovee University Center.

The food pantry would consist of low-cost food that SGA senator and sustainability chairman Brendan Mantey hopes will include all major food groups.

"It could help CMU students who can't necessarily pay for food," Mantey said.

The biggest issue for a food pantry for students would be the logistics, with Mantey saying there's a struggle of balancing supply and demand. Since the pantry wouldn't be government or state-funded, it would depend on donations from the community and volunteer work.

The committee also needs to decide if the location for the food pantry would suffice. The legislation places the food pantry on CMU's north campus, between Robinson and Larzelere halls. 

SGA also passed a resolution supporting an amendment of Central Michigan University's bereavement amnesty policy. It intends to expand the current bereavement period from the current three days to five.

In addition, the legislation hopes to add "close friend" to the classified list that qualifies as a "loved one" to be eligible for bereavement amnesty. Family members, a spouse and children are part of the current policy. 

The two resolutions were introduced at SGA's Jan. 29 meeting.

Senior Vice Provost for Academic Reorganization Initiative Ian Davison opened the General Board meeting by addressing some of the initial recommendations drafted by committees through CMU's Academic Organizational Review.

Davison urges students to contact SGA members to receive more feedback on new proposals for the committees being developed. He emphasized the importance of students and faculty to give feedback on proposals being made. 

"Based on the feedback we receive from the campus community, the committees may, or may not, revise their recommendations," he said.   

Davison added that students would still be able to have the same professors and courses, and those would not be changed due to the reorganization.  

One CMU student expressed concern over whether the reorganization would raise tuition. Davison said he doesn't believe there would be much expansion created from the reorganization and believes it wouldn't have a great enough impact on tuition to raise concerns.

A student-only feedback session takes place at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 in Terrace Room A in the UC.