Dogma-Free Society to celebrate Charles Darwin's 209th birthday

19293_logot

Charles Darwin died April 19, 1882, but his works and legacy have lived on with the help of The Dogma-Free Society.

The annual celebration to mark Charles Darwin's 209th birthday at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 15 in Anspach Hall room 259.  

The night centralizes around promoting a healthy understanding of science for students. 

Attendees can discuss science and reason while celebrating Darwin, a man whose voyages to the Galapagos Islands later developed the theory of evolution. His research also led to the concept "survival of the fittest", which illustrates that certain characteristics can help determine who, or what, is more likely to live longer.

Senior and president of Dogma-Free Society Aaron Stebelton said the goal of the evening is to put a fun spin on Darwin, whose ideas were, and occasionally still are, controversial. 

"It's important to remember Darwin to understand who we are and where we come from," Stebelton said. 

The event will be an hour filled of Darwin-themed trivia, along with evolution board games. There will also be a spin-off of the classic "pin the tail on the donkey" where participants will get to pin feet on the fish.  

Snacks will be made available for attendees as well as prizes for game participants. 

The event is planned to end by 7:30 p.m., but attendees are welcome to stay later to socialize.