Josh Kozinski breaks Central Michigan all-time 3-point record

rusco-bball-2

Senior guard Josh Kozinski passes the ball during the basketball game against Miami Ohio on Jan. 23 at McGuirk Arena. 

Coming into Central Michigan’s game against Northern Illinois on Jan. 30, senior guard Josh Kozinski was five 3-pointers away from breaking former guard Braylon Rayson’s career record for makes from downtown.

With 12:14 left in the game, Kozinski knocked down the record-breaking 3-pointer on an assist from junior guard Gavin Peppers, passing Rayson with 272 made triples.

“It means so much (to me),” Kozinski said. “To be able to be surrounded by such great shooters and great guys, it means a lot.”

Kozinski went on to finish the game with 24 points, one rebound and one assist.

“Once you get in the game and you see the ball go through the net one time, you just think everything is going in,” Kozinski said.

He went 8-of-15 from downtown, helping the Chippewas knock down 17 buckets from downtown in an 81-67 victory at McGuirk Arena.

“It feels good to have the confidence from my teammates,” Kozinski said. “Also, to have guys get open shots because of me is also a great feeling.”   

In CMU’s victorious efforts, junior guard Shawn Roundtree tied a career-high with seven assists. He helped pace the Chippewas to dish out 20 assists on 28 made field goals. 

“We had a pretty good passing night to be able to get the ball in the post and kick out to shooters,” said CMU head coach Keno Davis. “We took advantage of that, but only because of the improvement we’ve seen over the past three or four weeks.”

Before tip-off against the Huskies, Kozinski’s grandfather underwent surgery in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The senior was locked in for him. 

“My grandparents are pretty big Josh fans and my grandpa had a big surgery today, so I knew I had to take care of business for him," Kozinski said. "I was locked in mentally and get that off my back while I knew he was watching. God’s plan is there.” 

Kozinski struggled to get healthy at the start of the season due to injuries to his shoulder and wrist. He is officially back to full health. 

“We needed him on the floor even though his timing was off as he was shooting with injuries,” Davis said. “We felt he would be able to regain that over time.”

During the 2014-15 season, John Simons set the 3-point program record before Rayson broke it last year. 

The next player to potentially break the 3-point record in Mount Pleasant is sophomore forward David DiLeo, who has accumulated 121 triples in one and a half seasons. 

“Hopefully I’ll have David chasing me,” Kozinski said.

“If (David) stays healthy, he has a chance,” Davis said. “He’s that good of a shooter. Josh is a tough one to catch because he is able to put up points in a hurry.

“We don’t win the championships without Josh Kozinski on the team.”