Lacrosse makes late comeback for first win of 2018

35633_brockmanlax3f
The team stands on the sidelines during the game against Detroit Mercy on April 29 at the Soccer/Lacrosse Complex.

By scoring the last five goals, Central Michigan lacrosse earned its first win of the 2018 season against American University in Washington D.C. 

The Chippewas (1-1) defeated the Eagles (2-2),12-10, at Jacobs Field.

Sophomore Shannon Doyle led CMU with four goals, while junior Jocelyne Lemay scored three. Junior Anna Schoonover and sophomore Jessica Schuchardt scored two goals each. 

“It was an impressive team win where we saw a lot of people step up,” said head coach Sara Tisdale. 

CMU fell behind early, then Doyle scored back-to-back goals within a minute of each other to give the Chippewas a 3-2 lead with around 20 minutes left in the half. 

American answered with four straight goals over the next 15 minutes of play to give the Eagles a 6-3 lead. 

Lemay stopped American’s scoring run with her first goal with 5:40 remaining in the half. However, the Eagles would regain momentum heading into the break on Emma Vinall’s goal with a minute before halftime. 

“For us it was a matter of having the right people on the right spots on offense,” Tisdale said. “From a defensive perspective we saw them really step up and make some plays.” 

After each team scored three goals to start the second half, CMU trailed 10-7 with 15 minutes remaining.

Lemay then scored her third goal of the evening at the 14:41 mark of the second half — sparking CMU's scoring run. 

After a goal from Schoonover, Doyle tied the game up with four minutes remaining. 

CMU took the lead when Schoonover found the back of the net less than a minute later with 3:33 remaining. Doyle added an insurance goal with just over minute remaining to guarantee a win for the Chippewas. 

“(Schoonover) played so well at the end of the game,” Tisdale said. “You saw her really come into her own today and this is just where she’s getting started.”