Forums for CMU presidential search slated for March 22-23
The campus community will have the chance to weigh in on the search for Central Michigan University's 15th president.
Forums regarding the presidential search are scheduled for March 22-23. An open forum for the campus community takes place from 5-5:45 p.m. March 22 in French Auditorium in the Education and Human Services Building. A forum for just students takes place from 7-7:45 p.m. March 22 in French Auditorium.
Another open forum for the campus community takes place from 11-11:45 a.m. March 23 in Powers Ballroom — located on the second floor of Powers Hall.
Those who cannot attend the forums may submit comments to email@example.com. A website providing information about the search committee, search firm and process was launched March 12.
The forums were announced in a March 13 University Communications press release.
In January, CMU President George Ross announced he would step down effective July 31. William Weideman, chair of the board of trustees, announced a presidential search advisory committee would be appointed and Trustee Tricia Keith would chair that committee.
The presidential search advisory committee was appointed by the CMU Board of Trustees. Witt/Kieffer was selected as the presidential search firm.
According to the March 13 release, the presidential search committee "is charged with identifying and soliciting the best candidates for the position of president but first must develop a leadership profile and position prospectus." Forums allow the campus community to offer input on the qualifications for president.
The presidential search committee comprises:
- Tricia Keith, committee chair
- Brad Swanson, Academic Senate chair
- Anna Owens, Student Government Association president
- Melinda Kreth, department chair of English Language and Literature
- Steven Johnson, vice president of Enrollment and Student Services
- Robert Wardrop II, trustee
- William Kanine, trustee
- Richard Studley, trustee
- Tom Olver, president and CEO of United Way of Gratiot and Isabella Counties
- Sid Smith, CEO of Smith Equities and former trustee
- David Keilitz, former CMU athletic director
- Pam Murray, alumna and senior benefits administrator at Van Andel Institute
- Rene Shingles, professor, program director and internship coordinator in the School of Rehabilitation and Medical Services
At the Feb. 15 board meeting, trustees voted to adopt a confidentiality statement for the presidential search advisory committee.
In the release, the university announced that targeted forums will be scheduled with members of the Academic Senate, alumni board, advancement board and senior leadership team.