Men’s basketball game against WMU postponed due to campus shooting

mg-4219

Armed personnel climb into an armored truck outside Campbell Hall during shooting situation at Central Michigan University which left Diva and James Eric Davis, Sr. dead on March 2.

UPDATE: James Eric Davis Jr., the shooter, was caught and put in custody just after midnight on March 3.

Two people at Campbell Hall were fatally shot on the campus of Central Michigan University on the morning of March 2, according to the university. 

The suspect James Eric Davis Jr. is still at large. 

The Central Michigan men’s basketball game against Western Michigan has been postponed, according to CMU Associate Vice President and Director of Athletics Michael Alford. 

A source told CM-Life all members of the men’s basketball team are safe. Western Michigan’s team is currently in Mount Pleasant and safe, as reported by WMU Communications. 

“The Broncos are all safely locked into their hotel until further notice,” said WMU athletic director Kathy Beauregard. “Once CMU makes any announcements we will pass it on. The Broncos will assist in any possible way to support CMU and their community.”

The game will be rescheduled at a later date.   

Davis Jr. is a black male, 19 years old, 5-foot-10 and 135 pounds, according to the police. He was last reported to have run on the railroad tracks towards North Campus. He is believed to still be in Mount Pleasant city limits. 

Last night, Davis Jr. was taken to a local hospital for a “drug-related type incident,” police confirmed. Police called the shooting as “a family-type domestic issue.”

CMU's game against its in-state rival Western Michigan was supposed to start at 7 p.m. on March 2. It was planned to be Senior Night for guard Josh Kozinski, forward Cecil Williams, forward Luke Meyer and forward John McCarty. 

Earlier this season, on Feb. 20, the two teams faced off in Kalamazoo at University Arena. Western Michigan won in overtime, 83-81.