Final SGA presidential debate includes discussion of sustainability, diversity

presidential-candidates-4

2018-19 SGA Presidential candidate Jake Hendricks speaks during the second and final presidential debate in the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium on March 29.

There were 25 students who attended the second and final Student Government Association 2018-2019 presidential debate.

Seven of them were members of the organization. 

Elections Director Jackie Smith said SGA created the event, which took place March 29 at the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium, in an effort to make the tickets' platforms more accessible to students with busy schedules. 

Indiana senior Shane Guenin with running mate Greenville senior Allison Harrison debated Traverse City junior Jake Hendricks with running mate Nashville Lyndi Rose. The tickets discussed platform differences in more detail. They focused on sustainability, diversity and their expected relationship with the upcoming university president.

"For us, sustainability means meeting today's needs while preserving resources for future generations," Hendricks said. 

Hendricks explained along with using the allocated budget efficiently, the ticket plans to work with Registered Student Organizations like Take Back The Tap to reduce environmental impact.

Harrison, Guenin's vice president pick, discussed how financial sustainability could help support their ticket's push for improvement of mental health services on campus.

Harrison gave a shoutout to senator Alec Esparza for authoring legislation in support of default double-sided printing on campus, saying if the change is implemented it may make a significant financial difference that could extend counseling service hours.

"Our sustainable change won't only save money to bring in more counselors, but it will also help us save paper, ink and other resources," she said.

The debate included discussion on diversity, with both tickets emphasizing face-to-face meetings with RSOs to gain perspective to bring to SGA.

"We've had a lot of our own experiences here," Guenin said. "But we understand our experiences don't even come close to the collective experience of our student body."

Guenin said he plans on meeting with RSOs with and without members who attend SGA in oder to better represent the student population. 

Hendricks' running mate Lyndi Rose said she didn't want to be part of a ticket that emphasizes diversity while running and lets it fall on the list of priorities once elected.

"At the beginning of our campaign we emailed every multicultural RSO on campus and have been attending as many meetings as we can to lend our ears," Rose said. 

She said in speaking to the multicultural advisor in Emmons Hall, she learned most multicultural events are organized and attended by minority students.

"We need to make it a campus culture, not just a marketing strategy," she said. "We see you, we hear you and we stand with you."

Uncontested treasurer candidate Chase Delor introduced himself at the debate and has endorsed the Hendricks-Rose ticket.

Four of seven candidates running for election as senators also discussed their own platforms during the debate as well, with an additional candidate presenting in video format in place of their attendance.