Men's basketball earns home game in MAC Tournament with WMU win

Central Michigan head coach Keno Davis leads his team during a timeout against Western Michigan on March 3 at Riepma Arena in Midland.

In a unique setting for the Central Michigan and Western Michigan basketball rivalry, CMU earned one of its biggest wins this season. 

With the game closed to the public and only family members and team faculty allowed into the stadium, CMU earned the 84-71 win over WMU on March 3 in Riepma Arena.

CMU (18-13, 7-11 Mid-American Conference) will enter the first round of the MAC Tournament as the No. 8 seed on March 5 at McGuirk Arena against No. 9 Bowling Green.

The game was originally scheduled for 7 p.m. on March 2 at McGuirk Arena, but was postponed and moved do to the shooting on the campus of Central Michigan University. 

James Eric Davis Jr., who shot and killed his parents on the fourth floor of Campbell Hall March 2, has now been taken into custody.

“This wasn't exactly the big senior night we wanted for our guys but with a tragedy like this we had to put things in perspective and set aside wins and losses for a second," said head coach Keno Davis. "It was awesome we were able to feed off a crowd of only 100 (people) or so and get the win."

WMU guard Josh Davis' steal and score gave the Broncos a slim 7-5 lead early.

CMU would regain the lead with back-to-back 3-pointers from Shawn Roundtree and Cecil Williams at 17-15 with 8:26 remaining the opening half.

Four steals, three 3-pointers and a few transition layups guided the Chippewas on a 15-2 run over the final 3:38 of the first half. CMU led 38-27 at the break.

Anytime the Broncos would near getting back within 10 points, the Chippewas had an answer. CMU continued to get to the foul line and covert, holding a 56-42 lead with 11:41 remaining.

Roundtree and sophomore forward David DiLeo put the dagger in WMU with a pair of back-to-back triples and led 74-58 with 4:26 to go.

Broncos senior guard Thomas Wilder scored an and-one bucket with 1:29 to go, making it a nine-point game but CMU would make free throws and ice away the victory.

Led by Roundtree's 27 points, CMU's starters of Meyer (18), Williams (18) and DiLeo (17) combined for 80 of the Chippewas 84 points.

"It was just about staying aggressive for me and overall we did a great job of moving the ball," Roundtree said. "We were able to keep our energy up all game and have confidence to finish strong."

Meyer said having a home game to open the MAC Tournament means a lot to the team.

"Being able to have a senior night in front of our fans should only add positives energy for us," Meyer said.