Men's basketball underclassmen gain experience in CIT

rusco_bball-5

Sophomore guard Kevin McKay fights for the ball during the basketball game against University of Buffalo on March 8 at Quicken Loans Arena. 

In the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, things are different, men's basketball head coach Keno Davis said.

“You talk about this feeling all year, but you really can’t experience (postseason play) until it happens,” Davis said. “It’s nice to do it at home in front of your fans, but if you make NCAA Tournament it’s about going on the road. It’s more preparation and travel than anything else.”

Davis said it’s a chance for underclassmen to “take another step."

“Even when the season is over guys don’t stop playing, they are going to play pickup games and hit the gym day and night,” Davis said. “So what better way to add more experience for our younger guys than play actual competition that counts.”

In the Chippewas first CIT victory against Fort Wayne, sophomores David DiLeo (22 points) and Kevin McKay (20 points) led the team in scoring.

McKay said the goal every season is to reach the NCAA Tournament, but the CIT is acceptable.

“Next year we will now have a lot of people coming back who know what it feels like to play in a postseason tournament,” McKay said. “Last season we didn't even play after the MAC Tournament so it means a lot.”

Freshman guard Matt Beachler said postseason play has a different feel from regular season games.

“You defiantly know in the back of your mind it’s win or go home, so it adds a little extra energy,” Beachler said. “It is like the MAC Tournament, but just knowing we could be done with this team if we lose puts on more pressure.”

The Chippewas have made the NCAA Tournament four times in program history and their last appearance was in 2003. Davis has yet to lead CMU there, but led the Chippewas to the CIT in the 2015-16 season.

Senior forward Luke Meyer was on that team in 2016. He said it helped him learn a lot about basketball in March and it should help the returning players next season.

“Like all experience goes, if you have more of it you will be better off for the future,” Meyer said. “I think having extra games played with additional pressure on your back means a lot when your still learning the ropes of college hoops.”

The Chippewas will resume action in the CIT at 7 p.m. March 16 against Wofford (21-12) in Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium.