SlutWalk rescheduled to take place April 22

19293_logot

Central Michigan University’s Organization of Women Leaders (OWLs) has rescheduled the annual SlutWalk for 2 p.m. April 22 starting at the Bovee University Center.

SlutWalk is an opportunity for students, staff and community members to stand up against victim blaming, street harassment and rape culture, said OWLs President Ashleigh Laho. The event will also provide a space for survivors to feel empowered and share their experiences if they feel comfortable doing so.

The Wyandotte junior said the event was postponed as OWLs was concerned about the safety of those attending because of the snow last weekend.

"We have been preparing and looking forward to SlutWalk all year and are so excited to see everyone on Sunday," Laho said.

Laho said the walk will bring awareness to sexual harassment by confronting it “head-on.”

“By naming these issues and voicing our stance against them, we are bringing attention to and against sexual harassment, victim-blaming and rape culture,” she said.

Laho added OWLs understands that previous SlutWalk events around the country have not all been inclusive.

Past SlutWalks around the nation may have failed to include people of any diverse background, however, there are several populations much more at risk to be victimized, Laho said. She said it is important to include any and all people because rape culture and sexual assault affects everyone.

“OWLs welcomes everyone who wants to take a stand against sexual assault and rape culture and support survivors to attend SlutWalk at CMU,” Laho said.