In-state 2019 PG Drew Lowder breaks down CMU offer

drew-lowder

2019 PG Drew Lowder has five offers, of which four are Mid-American Conference programs.

Since stepping up for his team due to injuries in his sophomore season, Ann Arbor Pioneer 2019 point guard Drew Lowder received national attention. 

Now, he is on Central Michigan’s radar as the Chippewas extended him a scholarship offer on April 27. 

“Coach Jeff Smith called me and told me,” Lowder said. “It feels good to have another in-state offer. Plus, I like what CMU does with small guards."

Lowder has offers from five schools:  Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Holy Cross, Toledo and Northern Illinois. 

Currently, Toledo and EMU are at the top of his list. CMU holding the No. 3 spot, but that could change quickly. 

“Toledo and EMU are probably ahead because I just haven’t visited (CMU),” Lowder said. “I’ve visited Toledo and Eastern multiple times. I’d say it’s pretty even between all the schools though.” 

Lowder plans to stay in close contact with Smith in order to find a date to visit that works for both parties. He does not know anyone on the roster but is starting to develop a relationship with head coach Keno Davis. 

“There isn’t a whole lot I haven’t talked to coach about,” Lowder said. “I just want to see the campus and the atmosphere.

“He thinks I’d be a good fit for the system.”

Following the 2017-18 season for Pioneer High School, Lowder earned Class A Second-Team All-State honors. The 6-foot-0, 180-pound guard is considered one of the best facilitators in the state of Michigan. 

“I’m a scoring point guard that can create for himself and for his teammates at a high level,” Lowder said. 

In his sophomore 2016-17 season, Lowder helped lead Pioneer to a 16-8 record and a Class A regional final appearance. He averaged 13.7 points, 3.0 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.1 steals per game that campaign. 

Next season will be the end of the collegiate road for Chippewa point guards Larry Austin Jr., Shawn Roundtree Jr., Gavin Peppers and Andrew Myers. 

Other point guards on CMU’s projected 2018-19 roster include junior Matty Smith, walk-on sophomore Adam Kosinski and incoming freshman Pierre Mitchell Jr. Another option is sophomore Matt Beachler, but his primary position is shooting guard. 

Davis has offered three junior point guards in Detroit (Mich.) University of Detroit Jesuit Daniel Friday, Springfield (Ill.) Southeast Terrion Murdix and Lowder.