Mixed emotions, unique Eastern Michigan series highlights softball's rivalry week

softball4

Freshman infielder Shaidan Knapp runs to first base after hitting the ball during the game against Western Michigan University on April 11 in Margo Jonker Stadium.

Lacy Tolfree has played in many rivalry games over her first three years for the Central Michigan softball team. Now in her senior season, its just another game.

“You have to think about it as just another game because they all count the same, but it does add a little extra fire in all of us,” Tolfree said. “When you have a rivalry, you just want to get out there and beat them right away.”

On April 11, the Chippewas (18-16, 8-4 Mid-American Conference) did just that by coming out and winning the first game 6-2 against Western Michigan. However, in the finale of the double-header CMU fell 4-1.

“We need to have a different mentality,” Tolfree said. “I know we will be able to get it together and go get Eastern (Michigan) this weekend.”

The Chippewas will begin a three-game series with their other in-state rival EMU at 3 p.m. on Friday in Margo Jonker Stadium.

However, this meeting with the Eagles may be CMU’s last. Barring a matchup in the MAC Tournament, this will be the final series between the two teams with EMU shutting down its softball program after this season.

Head coach Margo Jonker said it doesn't change how she views the series but is disappointed with the program being dropped.

“The series doesn't mean any more or less, it’s sad they are dropping the program,” Jonker said. “As the series goes, it’s one game at a time and we need to focus on that. They have coaches who played here and they carry a lot of pride in wanting to win these games. 

“It doesn't matter what they're record is, we need to play our best softball.”

Jonker was referring to EMU’s head coach Melissa Gentile who spent three years (2000-02) as an assistant coach at CMU. During that span, they won two MAC Tournament and regular season titles along with two NCAA Regional appearances. EMU’s assistant coach Kim Burke also has ties with the Chippewas, serving as a graduate assistant for two years (1999-2000).

Senior catcher Maison Kalina said she is more focused on the areas they need to improve in compared the team coming in.

“We need to hit the ball,” Kalina said. “In order for us to win we need to have the right mentality either way. We need to come at (Eastern) and not let up.”

Sophomore short stop Morgan Gardner said whenever WMU is the opponent, she feels a little extra energy.

“It’s Western, of course you feel a little more fire,” Gardner said. “It is just another team and the ultimate goal is to win, but you can get yourself more fired up when it’s a team you really want to beat.”