New program board president aims to expand the organization through on-campus partnerships

screen-shot-2018-04-11-at-10-38-15-pm

Bad Axe junior Galen Miller will serve as Program Board president and Rockford junior Anelene Mellin will serve as vice president for the 2018-19 year, the organization announced April 9.

Current president and Hartland senior, Marissa Mattioli said she is very excited to see how Program Board will expand under the new Executive Board. 

“This year, the application process was extremely competitive which made the leadership teams decision extremely hard,” Mattioli said. “The new executive board represents the best of the best student leaders with exceptional qualifications and skills.”

She said she has personally seen both Miller and Mellin grow as exceptional students on campus. 

“Anelene was actually my safari participant two years ago, so it is so rewarding to see her be elected in this position,” she said in regards to the Vice President-elect. “She is such a dedicated general member and truly an asset to our organization.” 

Mattioli said Miller is also well-experienced in being a successful leader on campus and in the community.

Miller currently serves as executive director and founder of Pack Your Back, a nonprofit organization that provides school supplies and financial support to children in need. 

He also served as this year’s president of the Interfraternity Council (IFC) at Central Michigan University. 

Program Board’s Executive Board is selected through an application and interview process via OrgSync. Candidates are interviewed and selected by the current president, vice president and adviser, Miller said. 

“I applied for the presidency of Program Board because I have fell in love with the organization over the past few years,” he said. “I believe this organization offers so much to its members and the student body as a whole.” 

Miller said prior to arriving at CMU, he had been interested in joining the group. He said he fell in love with volunteering at events as a general member during his freshman year. 

“This opened the door for me to get involved with the Office of Student Activities & Involvement through a variety of programs,” he said. “I have seen the organization grow to what it is today and I believe that with my experience I have the potential to take the organization to the next level.” 

Miller’s goal is to utilize relationships across campus to develop better collaborations and partnerships with the organization. 

He plans to use assistance from outside organizations and departments to publicize events and expand their size and value. 

Miller said he is fairly confident he and Mellin will be a strong duo. 

“We both offer different skills that will benefit the organization as a whole,” he said. “We have known each other for quite some time and this will assist in building a strong culture within our Executive Board and organization.” 

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →