Western Michigan snaps softball's win streak

softball5
Senior catcher Maison Kalina attempts to get Western's Geordin Craun out during the game against Western Michigan University on April 11 in Margo Jonker Stadium.

On an odd day following a rain out between two rivals, the Central Michigan softball team split a doubleheader with Western Michigan.

The Chippewas (18-16, 8-4 Mid-American Conference) took the makeup game 6-2 in the opener and lost to the Broncos (20-17, 4-1) in the finale. The loss snapped the Chippewas nine-game winning streak.

“We’re pretty disappointed,” said senior right fielder Lacy Tolfree. “We have three games this weekend and we are just looking onto that. Getting back to winning at home is what we need to do.”

It was the Chippewas first loss in conference play since March 24 against Ohio.

Game one

Senior pitcher Hanna Warren (6-5) went six innings and allowing one run on five hits. She added three strikeouts with zero walks in the outing.

The Chippewas knocked in a pair of runs to open the game on back-to-back RBI singles courtesy of sophomore short stop Morgan Gardner and Tolfree. CMU had a 2-0 lead.

Redshirt junior Sara Hansen earned the eventual game-winning RBI single in the second inning. It gave CMU a 3-0 lead. 

CMU added two more runs in the top of the third inning, highlighted by an RBI single from junior second baseman Rachel Vieira. The Chippewas were in control 5-0 and never had to look back.

“I thought our sticks came out very well in the first game and then suddenly they went quiet in game two,” said head coach Margo Jonker. “Some of the balls in the first game could've been outs if they were a little bit over, in the second game they were. It’s funny how this game works sometimes.”

Freshman designated hitter Shaidan Knapp had a perfect day at the plate, going 3-of-3 with two RBI and a run scored. Gardner was next in line, going 2-of-4 with an RBI.

Game two

A home run in the third inning from WMU’s junior short stop Brooke Wyman was the difference in a 4-1 WMU victory to salvage game three of the series and avoid a sweep.

The Broncos would load the bases with just one out and cash in two more runs to put the game out of reach in the seventh inning.

“We were just really hesitant and didn’t make adjustments in the box,” said senior catcher Maison Kalina. “It really hurt us in the end, we just need to hit the ball.”

Senior pitcher Taylor Weaver (4-6) took the loss after allowing two runs over three innings of work on five hits. WMU’s freshman pitcher Riley Galloway (3-1) went a complete game and allowed a run on three hits.

Gardner drove in the only CMU run on a fielding error from the Broncos. The Chippewas were out-hit 10-3.

“Our energy was down in the second game,” Gardner said. “We should come out with fire all of the time and we simply didn't in the second game.

“Like Lacy said, it was disappointing.”

The Chippewas will welcome their other in-state rival Eastern Michigan (7-28, 3-8) for a three-game series starting on April 13 at 3 p.m. in Margo Jonker Stadium.