Softball unable to capitalize on offense, falls on road to Michigan State

34355_jab_6846f
Head Coach Margo Jonker heads to third base to coach runners on Mar. 25, 2017 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Head coach Margo Jonker said at practice this week the team most recent struggle resulting in losses has been leaving runners in scoring position on offense.

The Chippewas (19-21, 9-8 Mid-American Conference) left four runners in scoring position and recorded eight hits as they fell to Michigan State (18-24, 4-11 Big Ten) 8-1 on April 25 in East Lansing.

CMU has now lost six of its last seven games and dropped its road record to 3-9 on the campaign.  

Summary

The Chippewas got the scoring started in the top of the first inning after senior right fielder Lacy Tolfree lead off single. Tolfree stole second base and came all the way home on a throwing error to produce a 1-0 advantage.

Freshman pitcher Samantha Howell allowed the bases to get loaded in the bottom half of the first inning but got a harmless pop out to end the inning and keep CMU in front.

In the bottom of the third inning, the Spartans got to Howell. She allowed an RBI single and was taken out of the game for senior Taylor Weaver. Weaver allowed another run to cross that was charged to Howell, making the score 2-1 in favor of the Spartans.

Weaver would get through the fourth inning with ease before the wheels came off in the fifth. She allowed one run and the other came across on a throwing error, making it 4-1 MSU.

In the sixth, MSU senior outfielder Lea Foerester hit a two-run home run out to left field to blow the game wide open at 6-1 Spartans. Sophomore first baseman Kelcey Carrasco followed with a two-run homer of her own to make it 8-1.

The Chippewas would never close the gap.

Howell was charged with the loss going 2 1/3 innings while allowing two runs on six hits with a strikeout and walk. 

Redshirt junior Sara Hansen and Freshman Shaidian Knapp each went 2-for-3 at the plate to lead CMU.

What’s next

The Chippewas will return home for a three-game weekend series against MAC West leading Toledo (30-15, 14-3). First pitch is at 3 p.m. on April 27 in Margo Jonker Stadium.