In-state 2019 WR David Ellis explains CMU commitment

After Central Michigan earned three in-state commitments to start the 2019 class, it added another in Clinton Township Chippewa Valley three-star wide receiver David Ellis on April 21.

"It's a feeling of relief, honestly," Ellis said. "The whole recruiting process was beginning to be an annoyance and CMU made it an easy decision with the chemistry between the coaching staff and players." 

Since CMU started recruiting Ellis, he has become close with running backs coach Jayden Everett and head coach John Bonamego. 

"I never felt as comfortable with any other coach than I was with Coach Everett and Coach Bonamego," Ellis said. "The atmosphere at the Spring Game and talking with some of the players was a great experience."

The 6-foot-0, 190-pound receiver picked the Chippewas over Bowling Green, Ball State, Indiana, Toledo and Western Michigan. 

"From the moment Coach Everett told me I'm his guy and he wanted me over any other recruit, I knew it was CMU," Ellis said. "That's one of the best feelings to have when you hear that coming from a college coach. Talking to (Bonamego) in his office with my parents showed me he was a great coach and relatable." 

Ellis has a relationship with Central Michigan junior defensive back Sean Bunting, as he was a 2015 graduate of Chippewa Valley. Ellis will graduate from the same school in 2019.

"Sean and his mom have said nothing but great things about the staff and program," Ellis said. 

The Chippewas now have 2019 commitments from Warren (Michigan) De La Salle three-star center Danny Motowski, Bloomfield Hills (Michigan) Brother Rice two-star defensive end Max Saylor, Detroit (Michigan) Martin Luther King two-star quarterback Dequan Finn, Montclair (New Jersey) two-star running back Joshua Crawford and Ellis. 

Ellis is making it a priority to bring Romeo (Michigan) three-star linebacker Brock Horne to Mount Pleasant. 

"Brock Horne from Romeo is another big recruit that we are all trying to get on board," he said.  

Horne, at 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, has offers to play for Boston College, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Iowa State, Miami (Ohio) and Toledo.