Central Michigan guard Gavin Peppers transfers to Nicholls State

gavin-peppers
Central Michigan shooting guard Gavin Peppers warms up to play against Kent State at McGuirk Arena.

Five years, five teams. 

Central Michigan shooting guard Gavin Peppers is on the move to Nicholls State after deciding to transfer out of the program in Mount Pleasant. 

Peppers has played for Olympic College (2014-15), Laramie County Community College (2015-16), Cleveland State (2016-17), Central Michigan (2017-18) and now Nicholls State.

Peppers will be a fifth-year senior at Nicholls State and is immediately eligible. 

In the 2017-18 season for the Chippewas, Peppers averaged 5.2 points, 1.2 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game. The 6-foot-2, 194-pound guard did not start, but provided a key boost off the bench. 

For Olympic, the to-be senior dropped in 15.6 points per game, along with 4.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 16 games. 

During his time at Laramie County, Peppers averaged 18.7 points, 2.9 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game. In the regular season finale against Northeastern Junior College, Peppers posted a career-high 39 points. 

Peppers, unlike with Olympic, Laramie and CMU, did not play for Cleveland State. He sat out the entire season with a torn Achilles tendon. 

A.J. Bullard, who sat out his freshman 2017-18 season to take a redshirt, is still looking for a landing spot after deciding to transfer.

Bullard is a 6-foot-9, 187-pound 3-point threat, just like his father Matt Bullard, who played in the NBA. A.J. attended The Woodlands High School in Texas before joining the Chippewas.

CMU head coach Keno Davis has brought in six newcomers to the team for the 2018-19 season: Larry Austin Jr., Romelo Burrell, Kevin Hamlet, PJ Mitchell, Rob Montgomery and Dallas Morgan. 

Mitchell is the only true high school prospect. The remaining five are transfers from the Division I level down to the NJCAA. 

The six, along with key returners Shawn Roundtree, David DiLeo and Kevin McKay, hope to make a run at a championship this upcoming season. 

“The 2018-19 team will be one of the most talented teams CMU has had,” Davis said. “This team has a chance to have success each and every night we step on the court.  I’m looking forward to the summer workouts as we look to develop this high level of individual players into a great team.”