Central Michigan baseball hires Northwood's Jordan Bischel as head coach

dczjy2exuaak9dm

Jordan Bischel (middle) won 2018 GLIAC Baseball Coach of the Year. (Photo by Northwood University)

Central Michigan baseball has a new head coach. 

His name is Jordan Bischel, one of the most well-known coaches in Mid-Michigan as the head coach of Division II Northwood University in Midland. 

Bischel, who has been coaching the Timberwolves for four seasons, led his team to back-to-back Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championships. He takes over for long-time coach Steve Jaksa, who accumulated more than 500 victories with the Chippewas before announcing his retirement this Spring.

To win the GLIAC title in 2018, Bischel's team won 5-4 over Davenport.  The 2018 Timberwolves finished the season 38-16 overall and 21-7 in the GLIAC. The team lost in the Division II NCAA Midwest Regional to Bellarmine in Springfield, Ill., 6-1. 

Bischel led Northwood to 46 victories in the 2017 season – that is 16 more than any other campaign in program history. The team missed out on the GLIAC Tournament in 2016, finishing with only 25 wins. 

Prior to joining the Timberwolves, he was the head coach of Midland University in Fremont, Nebraska. He led the team to 74 victories in two seasons and a trip to the NAIA National Tournament. In 2014, the Warriors went 43-19, which was a record for the university and the Great Plains Athletic Conference. 

Bischel played baseball at St. Norbet for four seasons, from 2000 to 2003. He was a first baseman and pitcher for the Green Knights.