Oregon State cornerback Xavier Crawford transfers to Central Michigan

crawford-xavier-cu-karl-maasdam

Oregon State graduate transfer Xavier Crawford joined Central Michigan for the 2018 season.

Graduating from Oregon State in June, cornerback Xavier Crawford left the Beavers football program in the offseason in pursuit of a transfer. 

He picked Central Michigan and will be eligible to play immediately in the 2018 season. After sitting out his true freshman 2015 season with a redshirt, Crawford started all 12 games in 2016. During that season, he made 70 tackles, two tackles for a loss, one sack, one interception, 10 passes defended and one forced fumble. 

His 10 passes defended ranked eighth in the Pac-12. 

Crawford, at 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, registered 17 tackles and two passes defended in five games before going down with a season-ending back injury in 2017. 

Coming out of Pittsburgh Senior High School in California, the three-star prospect had offers from Oregon State, Montana, San Diego State and Wyoming. He committed to the Beavers on Feb. 3, 2014, and signed two days later. 

Crawford will rejoin Cory Hall, who left Oregon State's program to become the secondary coach for the Chippewas. 

With CMU junior cornerback Sean Bunting as the only returning starter in the secondary, Crawford will join a battle with Tyjuan Swain, Alonzo McCoy, Da'Quaun Jamison, Devonni Reed, Gage Kreski and others for the final three spots. 

“We lost two starting safeties, so everyone in that group is competition,” Bunting said to CM-Life in April. “We got new coaches, so it’s completely up to them.”