Men's basketball releases 2018-19 schedule

img-3100-2
Central Michigan junior guard Shawn Roundtree brings the ball up the court against Western Michigan on Feb. 20 at University Arena.

Entering his seventh season as the Central Michigan men's basketball head coach, Keno Davis is ready to showcase his new team. 

The season gets underway against Concordia on Nov. 6 at McGuirk Arena. The 2018-19 season opener against the Cardinals kicks off a 31-game schedule. 

The Chippewas play Concordia, Chicago State, Siena Heights, Sam Houston State, TCU, Youngstown State, Southern Utah, UMKC, Jackson State and Indiana-South Bend in the nonconference.

“I think we’ve put together a nonconference schedule that will challenge us and will give our fans an opportunity to see what we’re about,” Davis said. 

One of the most interesting aspects of the nonconference is the Junkanoo Jam in the Bahamas from Nov. 15-18. CMU will take on Cal State-Bakersfield, Weber State and San Jose State. 

“The Bahamas tournament is exciting for us because we will play a high level of competition, and it gives our guys an opportunity to get used to tournament play and prepare for the conference schedule," Davis said. 

At the Junkanoo Jam, CMU will get a chance for a rematch against Cal State-Bakersfield, which the Chippewas defeated 75-72 in the Great Alaska Shootout title game last season. 

CMU also has rematches against Southern Utah, UMKC, Jackson State and Sam Houston State. Of the four teams, the Chippewas only lost to Southern Utah. 

Another highlight of the nonconference is a trip to Texas where CMU takes on TCU. The Horned Frogs finished 21-12 last season with a 57-52 loss to Syracuse in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. 

“To make a trip like that and really challenge yourself early in the season is going to pay dividends down the road,” Davis said. “Our guys are looking forward to showing what kind of talent they have and what kind of team we’re going to have."

Mid-American Conference action starts on Jan. 5 at Miami (Ohio). CMU gets Akron, Bowling Green, Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Ohio, Kent State, Toledo and Northern Illinois at McGuirk Arena this season. 

Last season, CMU finished 21-15. It was the fourth-straight season finishing .500 or better. 

“While we know we’re an improved team, we also know that teams on our schedule are much improved as well," Davis added. "Our job as always is to be playing our best basketball at the end and I think this schedule will help us prepare for that."

2018-19 CMU men’s basketball schedule
Oct. 30 Davenport (exhibition)
Nov. 6 Concordia
Nov. 9 Chicago State
Nov. 15-18 Junkanoo Jam (Cal State-Bakersfield, Weber State, San Jose State)
Nov. 25 Siena Heights
Nov. 28 at Sam Houston State
Nov. 30 at TCU
Dec. 4 at Youngstown State
Dec. 8 Southern Utah
Dec. 19 UMKC
Dec. 22 Jackson State
Dec. 30 Indiana-South Bend
Jan. 5 at Miami (Ohio)*
Jan. 8 Akron*
Jan. 12 Bowling Green*
Jan. 15 at Northern Illinois*
Jan. 19 Ball State*
Jan. 22 at Akron*
Jan. 26 at Toledo*
Jan. 29 Eastern Michigan*
Feb. 2 Western Michigan*
Feb. 9 at Buffalo*
Feb. 12 at Bowling Green*
Feb. 16 Ohio*
Feb. 19 Kent State*
Feb. 23 at Ball State*
Feb. 26 at Eastern Michigan*
March 2 Toledo*
March 5 Northern Illinois*
March 8 at Western Michigan*

* - Mid-American Conference game