Central Michigan Chippewas 2018 position group preview: Quarterbacks

fball-1
Redshirt freshman quarterback Tony Poljan poses for a portrait on Oct. 4 at Kelly Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan began fall practice on Aug. 3, meaning the 2018 season is just around the corner. For more position group previews, check Central Michigan Life over the days leading up to kickoff:

Position: Quarterbacks

Projected starter (pictured above): Tony Poljan (redshirt sophomore)

Backups: Tommy Lazzaro (senior), Paul Hurley (sophomore), Austin Hergott (redshirt freshman), George Pearson (freshman)

Breakdown: Replacing the efforts of fifth-year transfer Shane Morris won't be easy. Morris, from the University of Michigan, led multiple comeback victories, including one against rival Western Michigan, last season. 

While Poljan was not the starting quarterback last campaign, he was used in many different ways. Head coach John Bonamego has stressed on a few occasions that he will put his best 11 players on the field, even if that includes two quarterbacks. In 2017, Poljan lined up as a wide receiver, quarterback and in the wildcat at 6-foot-7, 225 pounds. 

Here's Bonamego's breakdown of both quarterbacks: “They’re both miles ahead of where they were a year ago. There’s a lot of roles that are still being fought for and some of them won’t be defined until we get into training camp. They are both strong-armed guys and physical. (Poljan’s) made some checks and gotten us out of a bad play and into good plays, whether it be run to pass or pass to run. He’s displayed a lot of savvy in that.”

Bonamego made it clear — there is no starting quarterback yet. Poljan is the favorite, but he has to win the job during training camp, which started Aug. 3 in Mount Pleasant. 

Like last season, the public likely won't know the Chippewas starter until the season opener against Kentucky on Sept. 1. When the battle was between Morris and Poljan, it wasn't until Morris took the field against Rhode Island that anyone was made aware of the starting selection.

"It's really incumbent upon us to make sure we feature the things that suit (Poljan's) skill set," Bonamego said. "It might not look exactly the way it did with (Morris at quarterback). It's going to be the same offense, the same system, but there'll be things that Shane did that Tony won't do as much.

"You put the puzzle together and figure out what guys can do."

Poljan, last season, appeared in all 13 games. He completed 10-of-17 passes for 61 yards, caught five passes for 97 yards and ran 23 times for 110 yards and a touchdown. 

Another aspect that points Poljan to starting at quarterback is Bonamego's view of his progression. After sitting out his freshman year as a redshirt, the former Lansing Catholic High School star made marks in 2017. 

"I think he's everything we thought he would be at this point," Bonamego said. "Tony is a very gifted athlete, there isn't a harder worker on the team, there isn't a tougher kid on the team."

Other players notice Poljan's grit too, especially star running back Jonathan Ward. The two were both members of the 2016 class that ranked No. 6 in the Mid-American Conference. 

"Tony is a competitor," Ward said. "Everyone saw him lining up among the wide receivers last season. I know that he'll never give up on us in a game and I don't have to worry about him breaking down. He's willing to fight until the very last play and I'll be right there by his side."

As a four-year starter at Lansing Catholic, Poljan showed he was capable of leading a team. He completed 390-of-670 passes for 6,090 yards and 58 touchdown passes. 

Bonamego already sees Poljan's leadership qualities on the field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. He threw for 153 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions on 11-of-20 passing in the CMU Spring Game on April 21. 

"He's an intensely competitive kid, very confident player," Bonamego said. "He has a lot of natural leadership. He's just got a tremendous amount of upside. He hasn't even started to scratch the surface of his potential. He's done some great things, he's young, and he's a sponge. He studies, prepares, comes out and competes every single day."

Senior quarterback Tommy Lazzaro runs an option during the spring game on April 21 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Beyond Poljan, CMU's quarterback options are light. Unlike the projected starter, Lazzaro took a much different route to Central Michigan. 

Lazzaro helped Pine Creek High School to back-to-back Class 4A Colorado State Championships in 2013 and 2014. He set the school record with 3,340 passing yards and 37 touchdowns, along with a 24-game winning streak. 

Without a Division I offer in his tool belt, Lazzaro headed off to Dodge City Community College in Kansas. For the Conquistadors, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound quarterback once again proved he was worth the roster spot, tossing for 2,237 yards and 14 touchdowns. 

Lazzaro made his final college stop at CMU and was beat out by Cooper Rush in 2016 and Morris in 2017. Despite not seeing the field much, playing JUCO football changed his perspective. 

“Playing a year of junior college football got me ready (for CMU),” Lazzaro said. “I’ve seen some defenses and some stuff, but it’s a tough competition. (Offensive coordinator Chris) Ostrowsky has helped me develop. I’m able to read defenses better and help the run game get going.” 

Lazzaro completed 8-of-14 passes for 91 yards and a touchdown in the Spring Game last April. 

One of the things that could help Lazzaro inch out Poljan is his ability to watch and learn. As Poljan was on the field in various positions, Lazzaro had the chance to focus on Rush and Morris at the quarterback position. 

With Rush, Lazzaro learned the film aspect of being under center. With Morris, he learned many in-game traits. 

Three-star prospect George Pearson was ranked as the No. 79 overall pro-style quarterback in the 2018 class.

With uncertainty surrounding Lazzaro due to lack of Division I playing time, the other quarterbacks are still developing. 

George Pearson, a three-star pro-style quarterback prospect from Mater Dei High School in New Jersey, is the final QB on the depth chart. He committed to CMU on June 19, 2017, and signed with the program as a member of the 2018 class in December, turning down offers from Boston College, Purdue and Temple. 

Pearson will likely take a redshirt this season but has all the intangibles to shine in the future, Bonamego said.

Pearson, at 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, did not enroll early, so the entire offense is brand new. The good news is he has time to learn and grow, just like Poljan and Lazzaro.