Kentucky star Benny Snell Jr. responds to CMU RB Jonathan Ward's statement

image
Kentucky running back Benny Snell Jr. carries the ball against the Tennessee Volunteers on October 28, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. (Photo: Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

When talking about Kentucky star running back Benny Snell Jr., Central Michigan running back Jonathan Ward didn't hold back. 

"I don’t know him," Ward said of Snell. "I don’t think there’s anything too special."

At Kentucky's media availability a few hours later, Snell responded to the trash talk by taking the high road and letting his stats prove his worth. 

"I’m a back-to-back 1,000-yard rusher in the SEC," Snell said of Ward's comments. "My play speaks for itself."

Snell, as a junior, has logged 2,424 yards and 32 touchdowns on 448 carries in two seasons. As a sophomore, he ran the ball 262 times for 1,333 yards and 19 scores. 

On the other hand, Ward emerged as a star for the Chippewas as a sophomore in 2017. He pumped out 1,024 yards and 10 touchdowns on 178 carries. Including receptions, the junior has 1,763 yards gained from scrimmage. 

Along with saying Snell is not special, Ward claimed the same about Kentucky's defense. 

"They are a pretty aggressive defense and all fly to the ball," Ward said. "I’m not seeing anything really special. We just have to come out and play to the best of our abilities."

Greg Colby, CMU's defensive coordinator, believes the Chippewa defensive line has an upper hand over Kentucky's offensive line.

"I like our chances with our defensive line against their offensive line," Colby said.

The Chippewas and Wildcats play at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 1 at Kroger Field in Lexington.