Four takeaways not enough for CMU in 35-20 loss to Kentucky

284a9172
Central Michigan Chippewas quarterback Tony Poljan (1) throws up a pass during the Kentucky vs. Central Michigan game on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018, in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 35-20. Photo by Jordan Prather | Kentucky Kernal Staff

Head coach John Bonamego said Central Michigan's season opener against Kentucky would be an exceptional test for his budding team. 

The Wildcats turned on the jets in the second half with the help of star running back Benny Snell Jr.'s performance. Despite four forced turnovers, CMU fell 35-20 to Kentucky on Sept. 1 at Kroger Field. 

"We don't accept losing," Bonamego said. "When we play our best, we can beat anybody."

Ripping apart CMU's defense, Snell finished with 20 carries for 125 yards and two touchdowns. His final score came with 4:01 left in the third quarter, turning the momentum fully back to the Wildcats. 

In the first half, defensive end Sean Adesanya, cornerback Xavier Crawford, safety Devonni Reed and cornerback Gage Kreski all forced turnovers which led to points from the Chippewas. 

"We are picking up where we left off a year ago with being opportunistic on defensive and forcing turnovers," Bonamego said. 

The Wildcats (1-0) went up 7-3 on a 55-yard rushing score from backup running back AJ Rose with 1:20 remaining in the first quarter. 

Over the span of 18 seconds in the second quarter, Bonamego's group produced back-to-back scores. A four-yard touchdown from Kumehnnu Gwilly and a 20-yard strip and score by Reed made it a 17-7 game. 

Just over a minute later, Kentucky star running back Benny Snell Jr. found a hole, broke through a few tackles and danced into the end zone. 

Snell ran for 1,333 yards in 2017 and made his presence felt on a 52-yard touchdown to cut CMU's lead to three. 

On Kentucky's final drive of the first half, backup quarterback Gunnar Hoak replaced starter Terry Wilson, who turned the ball over three times early in the contest. 

Hoak dropped back with 14 seconds left and delivered a 24-yard strike to wide receiver David Bouvier to put the Wildcats ahead 21-20 going into the locker room. 

The Chippewas never found the scoreboard in the second half. 

"In the second half, Kentucky did a better job of taking care of the football," Bonamego said. "We hurt ourselves with some critical penalties with the young offense." 

Snell took a direct snap for an 11-yard scamper into the end zone during the third quarter and Rose registered his second touchdown of the game with 14:53 left in the fourth for a 35-20 lead. 

When Snell wasn't running all over the CMU defense, Rose was. Only running eight times, he picked up 104 yards and two scores. 

Throughout the remainder of the fourth quarter, the Wildcats (1-0) kept CMU from advancing the football into scoring position despite a few impressive runs from Jonathan Ward. 

Three players were ejected from Saturday's game due to targeting - Kentucky cornerback Chris Westry, CMU safety Tyjuan Swain and CMU linebacker Trevor Apsey. 

"I believe they were called by the letter of the rule," Bonamego said of Swain and Apsey's penalties. "I think it's also important to point out those weren't dirty plays. Swain was hustling downfield and the returner got tripped up. Apsey was going for the football. Those things impact the game." 

Early in the first quarter, Ward was struck by Westry. The play was deemed targeting and it forced CMU's star running back into concussion protocol. Ward only managed 11 carries for 36 yards in the loss.  

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Tony Poljan, in his first career start for CMU, went 17-for-27 through the air for 137 yards. He added 47 yards on 16 carries on the ground. 

"It was pretty cool," Poljan said of his first start. "I was a little nervous but not too bad. I had to get a feel for what the defense was giving me." 

Kentucky outside linebacker Josh Allen, a top 2019 NFL Draft prospect, gave Poljan a rough time. He registered 10 tackles, three tackles for a loss, one sack and one quarterback hit. Fellow linebacker Kash Daniel also demolished the CMU offensive line to attack Poljan. 

Wilson, after being pulled due to his poor efforts and a minor injury, entered back into the contest during the third quarter. He finished 11-for-18 with 78 passing yards along with 38 rushing yards. He threw two interceptions and fumbled once. Hoak was 4-of-9 for 50 yards and a touchdown.

"They both have very different styles," Bonamego said of Wilson and Hoak. "They have two very good quarterbacks and a few good receivers I was impressed with." 

The Chippewas make the trip back to Kelly/Shorts Stadium in Mount Pleasant for Week 2 against Kansas at 3 p.m. on Sept. 8.