Former Michigan kicker Ryan Tice makes last second move to CMU

michigan-cincinnati-7086

Central Michigan has added former Michigan kicker Ryan Tice to its 2018 roster. (Photo Credit: Isaiah Hole / WolverinesWire)

Imagine having two days to learn every special teams set, each players name and all the coaches. 

That was the life of Ryan Tice, a kicker for Central Michigan's football team. 

Ryan Tice didn't officially join the team until Aug. 30, but he was just in time for the Chippewas season opener against Kentucky on Sept. 1. 

Tice transferred from Michigan to Tennessee on March 5 as a walk-on graduate transfer. After time with the Volunteers, Tice was no longer with the team as of Aug. 16. 

He made an ensuing phone call to CMU head coach John Bonamego. 

It wasn't the first call Tice made to CMU, as he originally thought about attending the university as a graduate transfer before picking Tennessee. 

"He was there and for whatever reason didn't like the way things were going," Bonamego said. "He contacted us and we told him there was still interest. We got him in here as soon as we could." 

Bonamego said Tice's key attribute is his strong leg. To go with that aspect, Tice has brought a presence of competition for starting kicker Michael Armstrong. 

Going forward, Bonamego plans to use the 6-foot-1, 172 pounder as a long-range field goal kicker and Armstrong form close and medium range. 

"The two of them are going back-and-forth right now," Bonamego said. "Our plan is to use both."

Against Kentucky, Bonamego alternated Tice and fellow kicker Kaden Keon during kickoffs. Until there's a separation, that's how it will be. 

Bonamego compared the situation to a pitcher in a baseball game. 

"If you're a return team, the kickoff guy is like a pitcher, and you have to wait for the right pitch," Bonamego added. "If you can mix it up, there's an advantage." 

The fourth-year head coach said each kickoff specialist has a few interesting qualities they have not thrown at opposing teams yet. 

"We have to keep people guessing," Bonamego said. 

Tice did not see game action at Michigan in 2017, but was a key factor as a sophomore in 2016. He covered 10-of-10 point-after-attempts and missed his lone field goal attempt for the Wolverines. 

The native of Saline, Michigan, has two years of eligibility remaining.