Five 2020 recruits discuss first direct contact with Central Michigan

8584036
Central Michigan is one of five schools to extend a scholarship offer to River Rouge 2020 running back De'Andre Bulley. (Photo Credit: Allen Trieu / 247Sports)

The first day in September is a crucial occasion on the recruiting calendar. 

It is the time a college coach is finally allowed to contact a high school junior, or a parent of one, without any restrictions.

As midnight struck to kick off Sept. 1, Central Michigan coach John Bonamego and his group put on the recruiting cap. 

The Chippewas reached out to a large number of 2020 prospects, and five spoke with Central Michigan Life regarding the experience.

De'Andre Bulley

Just after midnight, River Rouge High School running back De'Andre Bulley received a text from Bonamego. 

Bonamego told Bulley the Chippewa staff would be contacting him through a text message or phone call now that the September calendar has begun. 

The 6-foot-1, 220-pound three-star prospect has offers to play for Boston College, Central Michigan, Indiana, Syracuse and Western Michigan. 

"I'm interested in Central Michigan," Bulley said. "Everything is special for me." 

The running back has not trimmed his list from five offers and is looking to add to his scholarship sheet. He said he appreciates each school that has granted him chance in college. 

Bulley is ranked No. 475 in the nation, No. 47 at running back and No. 18 in Michigan, according to 247Sports. 

David Carter

At 12:25 a.m., CMU Director of Player Personnel Albert Karshnia slid into cornerback David Carter's direct messages on Twitter. 

"(I'm) looking forward to continuing to build our relationship with you and excited to be able to officially reach out to you," Karshnia told Carter. 

Karschnia also invited the River Rouge High School star to visit for a game this fall. 

Carter has to find a game that works with his schedule but wants to see three facets - the coach-to-player interaction, how the defense is run and the overall atmosphere.

The last time Carter was in Mount Pleasant was for a 7-on-7 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium on June 20, 2018. During the trip, he communicated with CMU defensive backs coach Cory Hall.

Carter's current high school teammate, Kamal Hadden, is a senior cornerback pledged to play for the Chippewas starting as a freshman in the 2019 season. 

"He tells me how the coaches are all the time," Carter said of Hadden.

At 6-foot, 170 pounds, Carter's only offer is from Akron. 

The only other school to message Carter late last night was Michigan State. However, the Chippewas were first. 

"I was very excited," Carter said. "Them being first shows how interested they are." 

Marcus Sheppard

Cornerback Marcus Sheppard was texted by Central Michigan tight ends coach Tavita Thompson at 12:05 a.m. on Sept. 1. 

Sheppard, a junior from powerhouse Detroit Country Day High School, was also contacted by Western Michigan, UMass and Yale. His only offer is from Morgan State. 

"CMU is high on my list of schools that I'm looking at right now," Sheppard added. 

Before the 2018 season for Detroit Country Day, the 5-foot-11, 167-pound prospect made a trip to Mount Pleasant for a visit. Sheppard spent most of his time with wide receivers coach Marcus Knight. 

"He gave me a lot of pointers and tips to use for this season and life in general," he said. "I could tell CMU coaches all had love for the game and for their players." 

Running track with CMU redshirt freshman wide receiver Bailey Edwards for years, Sheppard and Edwards developed a long-time relationship. In turn, he has gotten to know Stan Edwards, a former University of Michigan running back and six-year NFL player.

"(Stan) says Bailey loves (CMU) and it was a great fit for him athletically and for education," Sheppard explained. 

Stan, over time, helped Sheppard work on his power and explosiveness through track which translates to football. 

Sheppard was contacted by CMU and WMU quickly after midnight.

Bonamego's group was first to contact him, and Sheppard believes the Chippewas have more interest than the Broncos at the moment. 

Lovie Jenkins 

On May 25, a staff member from Central Michigan went to Ocoee High School in Florida to extend an offer to wide receiver Lovie Jenkins. 

It wasn't until 12:12 a.m. on Sept. 1 that Bonamego was able to personally text the recruit. 

"Bonamego said he will stay in touch and hopes we can build a relationship," Jenkins said. "He wants to get me up there on campus."

The ability to move players from the high school to college to NFL level is appealing to Jenkins. He hopes to be just like his favorite receiver Antonio Brown, a former CMU player and NFL superstar. 

"I know they can get me to where I want to be in life," Jenkins said. "Also, I know more offers are coming so I'm being patient."

Currently, the Chippewas are the only school to deliver an offer to Jenkins. He believes Florida, Louisville and Cincinnati are coming soon. 

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound receiver plans to visit CMU directly following Ocoee's season. 

Xavier Smith

Another prospect from River Rouge High School is wide receiver Xavier Smith, who was texted by Bonamego at 12:32 a.m. on Sept. 1. 

"He said he was excited to be able to officially speak to me," Smith said. "He wants to build a good relationship with each other." 

Smith runs a 4.48 40-yard dash and has begun his junior season at 5-foot-10, 160 pounds. He does not have any Division I scholarship offers. 

The receiver plans to take a visit to CMU for its Sept. 9 game against Kansas at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

"I look forward to being welcomed with open arms, build a relationship with the coaches and get a better look into the CMU lifestyle," Smith said. 

Smith believes CMU will offer first. He also hears from UMass, Northern Illinois, Miami (Ohio) and most other Mid-American Conference schools. 

"I hope and pray that CMU will offer soon because I am very interested."