Oath Pizza to bring farm-friendly cuisine to Down Under Food Court

oath-pizza

Courtesy Photo | Oath Pizza

The Down Under Food Court (DUFC) prepares to welcome a new pizza shop. 

While the DUFC is currently under construction after a broken sewer pipe was discovered beneath the site, Campus Dining still intends on updating the facility with Oath Pizza. 

The vendor's official site describes their products as “seasonally inspired” and “ethically-sourced." 

Nikki Smith, district marketing manager of campus dining, said that the project began over the summer and is estimated to be completed in mid-September.

"The construction of this project was scheduled to continue even after the food court opened for fall semester and has no weight on the closure of the food court," she said.

The vendor is the first pizza brand in the United States to be certified by Humane Farm Animal Care (HFAC), a non-profit organization that that approves facilities in regards to meeting objective standards for farm animal treatment.

According to the organization's website, www.certifiedhumane.org, the goal of their certification program is to improve farm animal practices internationally in terms of nurturing meat, dairy, poultry and eggs.

Oath Pizza began its first operations in Nantucket, an island isolated off of Cape Cod in Massachusetts. 

Their menu includes specialized pizzas like the Spicy Mother Clucker - a pizza with mozzarella, pickled red onions, spiced chicken, sriracha, spicy aioli and scallions. 

According to Smith, Oath Pizza rejects the use of chemicals, hormones, artifical preservatives or antibiotics.

"(Oath Pizza's) goal is to inspire happiness in people who love great food and want to feel good about their decisions," she said.

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →