Soccer falls at Buffalo, 2-0

0f4a6391
Senior forward Lexi Pelafas raises her hands in frustration after a questionable off sides call on Sept. 21 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

Central Michigan soccer fell 2-0 on Friday night to Buffalo at UB Stadium. 

The Chippewas' record drops to 4-7 overall and 2-1 in the MAC while Buffalo improves to 8-2 overall with a 2-1 MAC record.   

How it Happened

Fans didn’t have to wait long for the first goal of the match.  Buffalo forward Carissima Cutrona began on the far left end of the field, dribbling to the center of the net and delivering a well-placed kick that beat goalkeeper Brianna Wallbridge at the 20-second mark. 

In the 43rd minute, the Chippewas had a chance to score on a shot in front of net from Natalie Belsito, but Buffalo goalkeeper Emily Kelly made the save. The Bulls were then able to create enough traffic in front of the net and prevent any further scoring chances . 

Buffalo scored its second goal of the match in the 81st minute from a shot by Adrianna VanCuyck that snuck by a diving Wallbridge. Assists were credited to Carley Zoccali and Carissima Cutrona. 

Shutout 

The Chippewas had some quality scoring chances but Kelly stood tall.  The Chippewas had 7 shots on goal, with 4 of them coming in the second half.  

“We applied pressure up the field, creating some good quality scoring chances,” CMU head coach Peter McGahey said. “It was unfortunate not to take one of those goals." 

The Stats 

Buffalo had 12 shots to Central Michigan’s seven, with both teams putting seven shots on goal. Cutrona starred for Buffalo, firing off three shots, with a goal and an assist. The Chippewas and the Bulls each had seven fouls but no cards were issued.  

What’s Next 

The Chippewas will travel to Akron on Sept. 30 to continue their MAC play against the 4-6-1 Zips. Central Michigan is tied with Eastern Michigan for 3rd place in the MAC, trailing Western Michigan and Bowling Green.