Roundtree scores 29 in exhibition win against Davenport

cmuvsdu-14
Senior guard Shawn Roundtree charges toward the opposing basket on Oct. 30 at McGuirk Arena.

Shawn Roundtree's 29 points helped Central Michigan men's basketball shake off rust from the offseason to top Division II opponent Davenport. 

The Chippewas won 89-84 in the exhibition game Tuesday night at McGuirk Arena.  

Foul Trouble

Neither team was able to pull away, the largest lead of the game was eight points in favor of the Chippewas'. By the end of the game, Davenport had been called for 26 fouls and the Chippewa’s received 22 fouls.  

Dyllon Hudson-Emory led the way for Davenport in the first half, scoring 14 points on 4-7 shooting from the field and 5-6 free throws.  David DiLeo knocked down two three-pointers and four free throws to be the steadying force of the Chippewa’s offense going into halftime.  

CMU would lead for a majority of the second half until Hudson-Emory tied the game with 4:17 remaining, resulting in a roar from the Davenport bench. The Chippewa’s missed a jumper and Hudson-Emory capitalized with a dunk on the other end to give the Panthers an 82-80 lead.  

Roundtree responded by hitting a layup to tie the game with 3:22 remaining. Both teams traded missed shots until Rob Montgomery hit two free throws with 1:21 remaining, giving CMU an 84-82 lead. Roundtree scored again and secured the Chippewa win. 

Free Throw Efficiency 

The Chippewas made the most of their trips to the free throw line, hitting 28 of their 32 free throws.  

“To be able to knock down 28 out of 32, that’s kind of what we’ve been able to do in the past,” CMU coach Keno Davis said. 

CMU will open the season on Nov. 7 against Concordia at McGuirk Arena.