Guard Sophia Karasinski tears ACL, will miss entire season

cmuvstoledo-bens-4
Freshmen guard Sophia Karasinski drives toward the net against Toledo on Feb. 10 in McGuirk Arena.

Sophomore guard Sophia Karasinski was expected to be a key threat off the bench for Central Michigan women’s basketball in the 2018-19 season under coach Sue Guevara.

Just days before the annual Maroon and Gold Scrimmage, Karasinski tore her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and will miss the entire campaign. 

Guevara said Karasinski will receive a medical redshirt and an extra year of eligibility due to the injury. 

“She will really help us next year,” Guevara said. “Based on the summer she had, losing some weight and gaining confidence in her game, shooting the ball and attacking the basket. Unfortunately, it happened, but now rather than later.”

Guevara mentioned Karasinski was going to be one of the top players off the bench, helping provide a spark from the 3-point line along with three fellow reserves – sophomore guard Maddy Watters, junior forward Gabrielle Bird and sophomore guard MacKenna Kelly. 

The mentality is next woman up. 

“We have a teammate that’s fallen, so we have to do a little more than before,” Guevara added. “It’s like, ‘Alright, here we go.’”

Senior starting point guard Presley Hudson, a noted leader on the team, was devastated upon hearing of Karasinski’s torn ACL. Hudson noticed the 5-foot-9 sophomore guard’s hard work and continued shooting success throughout the offseason. 

“It’s really tough,” Hudson said. “We keep telling the team that it means the next person must step up and take Sophia’s spot to make plays.”

Karasinski appeared in 11 games as a freshman in the 2017-18 season. She averaged 1.6 points per game in 4.8 minutes per game. Her career-high was nine points – all 3-pointers – in 17 minutes against Aquinas on Nov. 30, 2017.