Expo event showcases Mount Pleasant businesses

The annual Business and Community Expo showcased 53 local businesses on Oct. 18 at the Comfort Inn Conference Center.

Like every city, Mount Pleasant has its own array of locally owned eateries, shops and businesses. 

The annual Business and Community Expo was held on Oct. 18 at the Comfort Inn Conference Center, showcasing 53 local businesses. 

Some of these businesses included CMU Athletics, Mid Michigan College, Alpha Media Saginaw, many banking and construction andrestoration businesses, and others. 

“The main purpose of (he event) is to allow our local businesses to come together under one roof for one day and show their best foot forward and everything they have to offer to our community,” said Bret Hyble, president of the chamber of commerce. 

The expo had booths that featured games and multiple raffles to participate in. The Discovery Museum of Mount Pleasant set up a scavenger for kids to enjoy as well.

A dog and a cat even accompanied the Humane Animal Treatment Society at their booth for visitors to pet and play with.

Flint senior Stephan Wilson sang "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz and "We Own the Night" by Lady Antebellum, providing entertainment at the Expo. 

Flint senior Stephan Wilson sang "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz and "We Own the Night" by Lady Antebellum, at the expo on Oct. 18.

The conference center was filled with people and admission was free. Many people got the chance to discover businesses they've never heard of. 

Mount Pleasant community member Keri Fick attended the expo because she wanted to learn about all the businesses that are in the area. She said she prefers to shop locally because it benefits everyone in the community, rather than larger corporate stores. 

Alanna Lieber, owner of Gingko Tree Inn, the Cruisin’ Chef and Adelaide’s Bistro, said supporting local businesses is important and that she recommends local eateries to her guests at the inn.  

“When people come to stay with us, if our restaurant isn’t open, I always send them to people who are local, because you can go to a chain (restaurant) anywhere," Lieber said. “You’re trying local flavor and you’re supporting the people who live here and those are the people that give back to the community."

By eating local, Lieber said visitors have the chance to experience a piece of the town. In addition, the money stays in the community and helps support local families, as well as the economy.

From 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Nov. 24, "Small Business Saturday" will take place in downtown Mount Pleasant where incentives will be offered by the local businesses to community members. It will be a chance to support local businesses while having fun.