Mount Pleasant office pool wins $1 million lottery

21742829_10155683719514561_979794007513865697_n

A group of Mount Pleasant employees won a $1 million Michigan Lottery Mega Millions jackpot on Tuesday, Oct. 23, after purchasing the ticket at Ric's Food Center on South Mission Street. 

According to a WNEM article the 10 individuals were employees at the McLaren Central Michigan Hospital. Nurses, a doctor and a secretary at the hospital each contributed $10 into an office pool to purchase 50 tickets, one of which was a winner.

McLaren employee Nikki Wildely said in the article that she was skeptical that the ticket was really a winner. 

“I think my heart was racing because I kept thinking ‘could it really be?’ Because I know a lot of people probably bought tickets at Ric’s,” she said in the article. 

The earnings will be divided between the winning group and taxed. They aren’t sure what each person will get but the WNEM article stated that they are happy they won together. 

According to the Michigan Lottery another $1 million winning ticket was bought in Grandville at Bricks, a gas station and food market.

The Mega Millions Lottery game is available in 44 U.S. states as well as in Washington D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. 

According to the Michigan Lottery website, the odds of winning a Mega Millions five white balls ticket is about one in 12,607,306.