EDITORIAL: Do you love live music? Then go see local shows

screen-shot-2018-10-08-at-12-28-21-pm

Novice lead singer Alex VanRavenswaay (left), hip hop artist Chris Mack (middle), and DJ Peter Brady (right).

If your daily routine includes getting in your car and spending five minutes punching in different radio stations trying to find music that hasn't been overplayed for the past six months, you have more options than simply reaching for the aux again. 

You might have luck finding new music you enjoy taking a chance on a band you've never heard before performing at a local bar, apartment or venue. 

Our Oct. 4 edition featured stories from three local musicians. A repeating motif in their narratives was a dedication to their craft and hope their hard work pays off.

These students attend classes, have jobs and still make time to create music. All they need now is someone to listen to them.

"Say, they have a friend who raps or makes music. Instead of doubting them before hearing anything or ignoring events (where they're performing), go and see them," New Haven senior and music producer Taraj Livesay said. "You know, if one day you want to see a concert, go to where you know students are performing." 

Though popular music is a crowd pleaser at parties and is easy to play on the aux at a moment's notice, live, local music provides a unique experience. Venues are more intimate, local artists' fan bases are more communal, and the performances can't be found anywhere else.   

The Wayside Central has hosted big names like DJ Pauly D and Waka Flocka Flame, but still provides space for up-and-coming DJs and rappers to perform. Centennial Nights at Centennial Hall, organized by Central Michigan University students, hosts local indie and folk bands and electric dance music artists. 

Because of the support Centennial Nights has received, the event's organizers were able to organize the Pleasant Town Music and Art Festival. Its creation is an example of how a small community can come together to help local musicians flourish. The festival lasted a day -- which is minuscule compared to larger festivals like Electric Forest, that takes place over the course of two weekends -- but it stands as proof that support for local music helps create a conducive environment for more and better art.

Small venues throughout Mount Pleasant's community include Rubble's Bar, the Wayside Central and Hunter's Ale House. Even some private residences host local artists weekly. Most performances boast low ticket and cover charges, while others are free. The only other price you have to pay is with your time -- and who knows? You'll probably enjoy it. 

Live music at a low cost from your peers. There isn't much better. Go out and support local music artists.