CMU's Sean Bunting breaks down decision to skip senior season, enter NFL Draft

cmuvswmu-44

Junior defensive back Sean Bunting listens in on advice from his coach on Oct. 20 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Sean Bunting is entering the 2019 NFL Draft and skipping his senior season at Central Michigan.

The junior cornerback announced the news Nov. 29, less than a week after John Bonamego was fired as CMU's head coach.

Bunting said he was focused on the team throughout the 2018 season and did not make his decision until the conclusion of CMU's 1-11 season.

"There's no guarantees for next year," Bunting said. "Once I was able to let my mind go from the season, I thought about everything else to figure out what was best for me and my situation."

Scouts are projecting Bunting as a likely second day selection due to his excellent length and next level ball skills.

"Whether I'm rated at the bottom or the top, I have to put my work in," Bunting said. "I feel like I can do anything. Some places had me ranked at the top. Other places didn't have me ranked at all. I believe in myself."

Until CMU's Pro Day in March, Bunting will train in California while taking online classes to pursue his degree. As long as Bunting stays on track with his plan, he will graduate in December 2019.

"Getting my degree is a big priority," Bunting added. "You need education to be successful after football."

As a junior in 2018, Bunting was a First Team All-Mid-American Conference selection on defense. He had five passes defended, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and one blocked kick.

The 6-foot-1, 181-pound member of the secondary posted 104 tackles, 3.5 tackles for a loss, nine interceptions, 15 passes defended, one fumble recovery and four forced fumbles in three full seasons – two starting – at CMU.

Bonamego, who coached Bunting for his time as a player at CMU, has not yet reached out to his top cornerback. Bunting expects him to in the near future.

"He's a father figure in my life and got me here," Bunting said. "He got me to the position I'm in now. I'm forever grateful for that. I'm sure he will reach out."

Bunting joined the Chippewas in 2015 from Chippewa Valley High School in Clinton Township. He helped the Big Reds to multiple playoff appearances.

Central Michigan's most recent student-athlete to be selected in the NFL Draft was tight end Tyler Conklin in 2018. He was taken in the fifth round (157 overall) by the Minnesota Vikings.

Other than Kavon Frazier being drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in 2016, the most recent defensive back from CMU to get picked in the NFL Draft was Jim Bowman by the New England Patriots in 1985.

Frazier has played 35 games for the Cowboys. During his CMU career, the safety posted 233 tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss, five interceptions, one pick-six, 13 passes defended, three fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles.

"I want people to remember me by my character," Bunting said. "If I'm not a good person, then I'm not a good football player. I wasn't highly recruited out of high school and everyone knows that by now. I put my head down, grinded for what I wanted and always play with a chip on my shoulder.

"I want people to know anything is possible. You just have to put in the work."