The weekend ahead: Events and entertainment in Mount Pleasant

golden-gala

Courtesy Photo | Facebook

December is coming up soon and Santa is coming to Mount Pleasant to help prepare for holiday celebrations. Various arts, entertainment and holiday preparations are in store this weekend.

Thursday, Nov. 29

Painting the Town: From 5 to 8 p.m., Art Reach of Mid Michigan will host a painting workshop at its location. Participants will be provided supplies and instruction. Cost is $35 for one person or $55 for two. Call (989) 773-3689 or visit Art Reach's website to register.

Conversations on Toxic Masculinity: The Organization of Women Leaders will host a panel discussing what toxic masculinity is and how it affects society. The event will begin at 7 p.m. and the location is still to be determined. Updates will be made on the event's Facebook page. 

Friday, Nov. 30

Santa's Hours for 2018: Santa's visiting hours begin this weekend -- from 5-9:30 p.m. Nov. 30, from 3-9:30 p.m. Dec. 1 and from noon to 6 p.m. -- at his home at 101 N. Main St. Visits are free and no registration is required.

Mount Pleasant Tree Lighting Ceremony: The annual tree lighting ceremony will begin at 6 p.m. at the Town Center. The celebration will kick off two days of Christmas preparation by the Mount Pleasant community. Attendance is free of charge. 

On the Rox Fall Concert: On the Rox a cappella group will perform its fall concert from 7-10 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Auditorium. Tickets may be purchased for $5 on Yapsody.

Saturday, Dec. 1

Jingle All the Way 5k: This 5k will begin at 8:45 a.m. at 125 E. Broadway St. and proceeds benefit the local Toys for Tots. Registration for the 5k is $30, while registration for the five mile run is $35. Registration can be completed on the 5k's website.

Lighted Parade: The Mount Pleasant Christmas celebrations continue with a lighted parade beginning at 6 p.m. on Main St. downtown Mount Pleasant. Fireworks will follow the parade. Attendance is free of cost.

Cheech and Chong: Cheech and Chong will perform at 8 p.m. at the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. Ticket prices vary from $29.50-73 and may be purchased on Etix

Golden Gala: Central Michigan University's Program Board will host the Golden Gala from 8-11 p.m. in the University Center Rotunda. The Golden Gala is a formal dance with a dessert bar and is free of charge.