Independence CC cornerback Dishon McNary commits to Central Michigan

dut32zrw0aebb1-2
Central Michigan recieved a commitment from Independence Community College cornerback Dishon McNary on Dec. 18. (Photo Credit: Dishon McNary / Twitter)

Since the final game of the season on Nov. 23, Central Michigan lost both starting cornerbacks due to early entrance into the NFL draft.

With Sean Bunting and Xavier Crawford out of the picture, new coach Jim McElwain needed to fill the void.

He found the answer at Independence Community College, a Kansas junior college (NJCAA), in cornerback Dishon McNary.

McNary announced his decision to attend Central Michigan on Dec. 18, and he will be eligible to play in the 2019 season.

"These last two years have been a journey, but I'm very blessed to say that I've made it through," McNary wrote. "Thank you to the whole CMU football staff for believing in me and giving me an opportunity and stage to play at the next level."

Hailing from East Paulding High School in Georgia, McNary took a redshirt in 2017. He got on the field as a redshirt freshman in 2018, logging 28 tackles, 0.5 tackles for a loss and two sacks for the Pirates.

Independence CC was 2-8 overall in its recent season. The team was the focal point of Netflix's hit series 'Last Chance U' seasons three and four. 

"I'm extremely happy to say my hard work and faith has paid off," McNary added.

McNary's other offers out of Independence CC included Southeast Missouri and West Georgia. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound defensive back recently went on a visit to CMU and picked the Chippewas.

The two cornerbacks CMU lost to the draft were impactful on the field in 2018.

As a junior, Bunting was a First Team All-Mid-American Conference selection on defense. He had 37 tackles, three tackles for a loss, five passes defended, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and one blocked kick.

Crawford, on the other hand, posted 24 tackles, three tackles for a loss, one interception, 12 passes defended and two fumble recoveries for the Chippewas during their 1-11 season.