Provost Michael Gealt to step down June 30

President Robert Davies will appoint a search committee before the holidays

michael_gealt

Michael Gealt, Central Michigan University's executive vice president and provost, announced his decision to step down from his position, effective on June 30, 2019. 

University Communications released a press release about it on Monday. Gealt will continue his employment through Dec. 31, 2019 as provost emeritus as the university searches for his replacement. 

“I have been proud to serve as provost at CMU, a leading national research university with top academic programs,” Gealt said in the press release. “The university has continued to excel in areas such as STEM, business and health care, and the excellence of our liberal arts programs ensures CMU students are able to succeed in their desired career path."

In the announcement, President Robert Davies expressed his respect for the provost. 

“During his tenure at Central Michigan, Dr. Gealt has been a champion of student success, excellent teaching and nationally recognized research endeavors,” he said. “His contributions to our university will live on for years to come.”

Davies said he will appoint a search committee for Gealt’s replacement before the holidays and plans to have a provost in place by July, according to the press release.

Gealt held positions at the the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Purdue University Calumet - now Purdue University Northwest - and Drexel University. Gealt received his bachelor's degree in biology from Temple University and his doctorate in microbiology from Rutgers University.

During his time at CMU, Gealt saw the graduation of the first two College of Medicine classes and helped the College of Medicine receive full accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.