New charges filed against Ian Elliott in sexual assault case

download

Ian Elliott. 

Three sexual assault charges were filed against a former Central Michigan University student by the Michigan Attorney General’s Office. 

Ian Elliott, 24, of Cheboygan, was charged Dec. 20 with two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of criminal sexual conduct with intent to commit sexual penetration. 

A warrant was filed for Elliott’s arrest on Dec. 20. Elliott appeared at the Isabella County Trial Courthouse on Dec. 21. Bond was posted at $30,000 and Elliott was released. A preliminary exam will take place at 1:45 p.m., Jan. 10 at Isabella County Trial Courthouse with Judge Eric Janes presiding. 

Elliott, who previously served as the CMU Student Government Association president, was originally charged with two felony counts of sexual misconduct in the third degree and one felony count of assault with attempt to penetrate. Elliott is accused of sexually assaulting CMU student Rachel Wilson on Sept. 1, 2016. The case was set to go to trial May 7, 2018, but was dismissed by Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney's Office on April 6, 2018.

On Oct. 31, the Michigan Attorney General's Office, led by Assistant Attorney General Brian Kolodziej, filed a motion to reinstate the charges against Elliott. When a motion hearing took place on Dec. 3, Isabella County Judge Mark Duthie recused himself. Duthie said he felt he couldn't rule on the case after having conversations about a story published by Central Michigan Life on Oct. 11, which detailed Wilson's account of the assault.

When the case was brought before visiting Judge Kimberly Booher of Mecosta County on Dec. 18, Booher denied the state’s request to reinstate the charges. She said the only way they could come in and reinstate charges was if there was either clinical error, fraud or mistake in the original case.

About Emma Dale

Editor-in-Chief Emma Dale is a junior from Grand Haven double majoring in journalism and political ...

View Posts by Emma Dale →